Overdrive light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBrettster

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with my buddies ford expedition. It seems hes got an issue that the transmission fuse under the hood keeps on blowing and the truck keeps going into limp mode. The first time this happened he took it to amco and they replaced a sensor (have no idea what it was). They replaced it and the truck was fine for a few weeks. Then he recalls going up an incline and at the end the truck went back into limp mode with the overdrive light flashing. Then i had a look and saw the fuse was blown I replaced the fuse and cleared the 9 codes that popped up (pretty much every transmission sensor showed up on the list) and the truck was fine for about a month. Now he went up a different incline and it did it again but this time you can clear the codes and overdrive will shut off but right when you put it into drive or another gear it instantly goes back into limp mode with the od light flashing.

Any input would be greatful.

Its a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4 fluid is not burnt.

Last edited:

ecqm8000

Reaction score
I would look at wiring. I'd doubt the angles having an effect on the mechanical side of things. Are the engine and tranny mounts in good shape? Is there a harness getting pulled or smashed? Are all grounds intact and in good shape? I'd look carefully at the wiring and if nothing is found, try an auxiliary ground between trans and frame.

keithnra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look at wiring. I'd doubt the angles having an effect on the mechanical side of things. Are the engine and tranny mounts in good shape? Is there a harness getting pulled or smashed? Are all grounds intact and in good shape? I'd look carefully at the wiring and if nothing is found, try an auxiliary ground between trans and frame.

what exactly is limp mode

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like either the wiring loom in the trans or one of the soleniods are shorted.