Overhead second row vents question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowLimited

Reaction score
I just bought a new to me, lightly used one owner 2012 expedition limited with 26k miles. Very sweet rig. So I am not real familiar with expeditions. All the air controls seem to work great but when I went to turn on the heat for the second row it doesn’t blow out warm air. When I turn on the AC it cranks out loads of chilli air from the top second row vents. Am I doing something wrong with the controls? or is there some sort of heater blend motor that might be out? Any help would be great!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure on your rig, but I have a master control on my overhead, or remote control for the passengers sitting in back if on the latter, is the temp actually turned up?P3300076.JPG P3300077.JPG .

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a new to me, lightly used one owner 2012 expedition limited with 26k miles. Very sweet rig. So I am not real familiar with expeditions. All the air controls seem to work great but when I went to turn on the heat for the second row it doesn’t blow out warm air. When I turn on the AC it cranks out loads of chilli air from the top second row vents. Am I doing something wrong with the controls? or is there some sort of heater blend motor that might be out? Any help would be great!

I bought a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, which replaced a Dodge Durango 4x4.

The 2nd and 3rd row ceiling vents would not blow warm air (when set to heat) and I returned to the dealer. I was informated that when set to heat, the air is only distributed from the floor vents in the 2nd and 3rd row.

My Durango would permit warm air distribution from the 2nd and 3rd row ceiling vents, so I assumed the Expediton would.

The vehicle owner’s manual is somewhat confusing on this mode of operation. I was very disappointed in this feature, as the Limited had the upscale HVAC system.

OP
OP
SnowLimited

SnowLimited

Reaction score
That’s what I was assuming as well. I read what other folks had to say and the majority of the people say that it is supposed to be like that from design, while the other folks were saying that they never noticed. So maybe the hvac system is designed to be operated in that manner. It leaves me scratching my head, but I jus wanted to get my question about it out there. Thanks

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 2003 doesnt do that. I can get heat or ac from either top or bottom depending on which vents I choose...Good to know that the newer ones work differently.