P0340 & P0344

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
2005 XLT 4x4 128,***
(Plugs and VCT sol. Are less that 8000 miles old)

well first off I'm not sure if this falls under engine & performance or electrical but I'm leaning more toward electrical on this.

Both CEL codes appeared on start up yesterday evening, I haven't noticed much difference in performance beside motor seems to run louder and drives at higher rpms on some speeds with what seems to be a loss of initial take off torque but maybe that's just in my head.

I haven't checked anything yet, I wanted to wait until I have some sun light to do a visual inspection of the electrical system leading up to the CPS And the wiring harness on PCM & battery terminal cables.

Here's the only thing I've done, I erased the codes after they turned on, but they reappear every time I start the engine. The codes don't reappear if I keep engine running, but the moment i turn it off and back on the CEL come back on indicating but codes as pending & confirmed.

Also do any of the codes indicate which CPS it is? Bank 1 or 2?

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok what I've tested so far,

The connector/pigtail to the CPS has good ground,

The AC voltage on the alternator is at .009-.010

DC side is at 14.44 at the battery terminals

Harness looks to be intact leading up to the PCM, however I'm going to do a continuity test once I get home from PCM to CPS

My battery terminals are loose, gonna go home and fix that.

I don't know what's the ohm's readings are yet on the sensor it self, I have to get home and pull it off as my volt meter won't fit at where the CPS is located.

Going to pick up a new sensor but I won't instal it I want to compare ohm's readings between mine and new one first.

I had auto zone do a quick test of battery and alternator and according to their tester both are in good operation

I'll post the remainder of the tests once I get to them

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok it's not the alternator
Not the sensor itself
Not the ground
Maybe pigtail/connector? I don't know how to test the signal on it to determine if the PCM signal is getting through or not

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Also might as well I mention this:

When I started it after leaving work yesterday I heard a loud pop upon start up. So I quickly shut it off and popped the hood and made a visual inspection if anything blew the hell up but there wasn't anything visually wrong so I restarted it and drove home. After I got home 30 minutes later I started the truck again and the codes appeard on start up, now they won't go off even if I delete them.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well I got one of my buddy's coming over with his scanner, he'll help me narrow down my search and see if the PCM is sending a signal or not. If nothing shows up I'm going to start vering towards it being a mechanical problem.

Edit: PCM is sending a signal but it's not receiving one back. Gonna swap CPS & see if the problem follows the sensor, if not then I'll fix or replace the pigtale connector at the bank 1 location see if that helps. If that fails I'll have to dedicate some time to check the wiring harness for any damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Does anyone have the PCM pinout diagram for the 05 expeditions?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a PDF copy of the '03 Expy here at the office.....if you send me a email, I might be able to extract the electrical section only since the entire thing is 62MB

let me know