P03E8?? What does this mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Just as the title says. My pocket reader's software says its "Ignition System or Misfire". Looking for clarification.

Thanks.

mustangswan

Reaction score
I looked in the 06 and 07 PCED's and did not find that code. I do driveablity work (Yes, a FORD Tech) and have not seen that code. what are you using to retrieve the code? what year is the truck (or car)? And does it run poorly? Most of the time a p0308 means a misfire on the #8 cylinder. There are some codes that use letters in them and means that there is other data that can be looked up to help aid in the daig.

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Originally posted by mustangswan
I looked in the 06 and 07 PCED's and did not find that code. I do driveablity work (Yes, a FORD Tech) and have not seen that code. what are you using to retrieve the code? what year is the truck (or car)? And does it run poorly? Most of the time a p0308 means a misfire on the #8 cylinder. There are some codes that use letters in them and means that there is other data that can be looked up to help aid in the daig.

I went and bought one of those "pocket scanners" from Autozone for $70. When it read the code, it came up with "P03E8". The reader came with software that you can lookup the codes. It says "Ignition System or Misfire".

In your opinion would you say that it is a misfire on #8? And if yes, then what would you recommend I do to fix it?

mustangswan

Reaction score
After reading your other post of how your truck runs, the code is most likely a P0308 and your code reader is throwing in the "E". The code means that there is a misfire on #8 cylinder. I have lots of problems with the bosch spark plugs and would not recommend them to anyone. (recommend Motorcraft) Which would be what I think is your problem. Try changing out that plug (#8) and see what happens.
If you have access to the Freeze Frame Data, you can look up the misfire events to help diag the problem. The best thing is a power balance tests which will show you the misfire events live when they are happening and make life easy. There is a update for the gem module for a shutter on accel for some trucks (not sure if it applies to yours), and also some updated rear axle lower leading arms for a driveline shutter on accel, but that is on take-off. I dont think either one applies here, and would not throw a code, but might be helpful to someone else reading this.
It could also be a injector problem or a wiring problem or compression problem or a hanging valve. But a spark plug is cheap. I also recommend replacing the coil with the plug, but since you already have you might put a know good old one in.
Hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
After reading your other post of how your truck runs, the code is most likely a P0308 and your code reader is throwing in the "E". The code means that there is a misfire on #8 cylinder. I have lots of problems with the bosch spark plugs and would not recommend them to anyone. (recommend Motorcraft) Which would be what I think is your problem. Try changing out that plug (#8) and see what happens.
If you have access to the Freeze Frame Data, you can look up the misfire events to help diag the problem. The best thing is a power balance tests which will show you the misfire events live when they are happening and make life easy. There is a update for the gem module for a shutter on accel for some trucks (not sure if it applies to yours), and also some updated rear axle lower leading arms for a driveline shutter on accel, but that is on take-off. I dont think either one applies here, and would not throw a code, but might be helpful to someone else reading this.
It could also be a injector problem or a wiring problem or compression problem or a hanging valve. But a spark plug is cheap. I also recommend replacing the coil with the plug, but since you already have you might put a know good old one in.
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your help. So, if I replace the #8 plug, can I use a different type? meaning: Can I leave my other 7 bosch platinum +2 plugs in and replace the #8 with a motorcraft without any adverse effects?

Also, is it worth me bringing the truck to a dealership and have them look at it? Or is it plausible to think that I can fix this before my roadtrip on August 4th?

Thanks again for your help.

mustangswan

Reaction score
As long as the plug is the correct plug for that engine, I cannot see why it would really make a difference. But if you are allready having problems with the plugs, you might think of changing them out before another one goes out.
But, before you get to that, just try replacing the one plug and possibly the coil if you have another one and see what happens. If the truck still misses, all your out is a plug.
If you do get the point of taking it to a dealership, drive it until the light comes on If it is safe to drive without hurting anything. note the best speed and gear that are driving.
All that information helps in making the correct daig the first time. I would think that you have time to play with it and see before you have to come see a guy like me. ( Not all ford techs are bad, and I wish we got a better cut of the door rate).
I wont be around during the end of the week, big mustang show here in Seattle. So I will check this post on 7/8/07 and then next week to see how things are going.
Hope this is helpful. Rob

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
As long as the plug is the correct plug for that engine, I cannot see why it would really make a difference. But if you are allready having problems with the plugs, you might think of changing them out before another one goes out.
But, before you get to that, just try replacing the one plug and possibly the coil if you have another one and see what happens. If the truck still misses, all your out is a plug.
If you do get the point of taking it to a dealership, drive it until the light comes on If it is safe to drive without hurting anything. note the best speed and gear that are driving.
All that information helps in making the correct daig the first time. I would think that you have time to play with it and see before you have to come see a guy like me. ( Not all ford techs are bad, and I wish we got a better cut of the door rate).
I wont be around during the end of the week, big mustang show here in Seattle. So I will check this post on 7/8/07 and then next week to see how things are going.
Hope this is helpful. Rob

Ok, replaced plug #8 with a motorcraft one. Truck still shudders while in park and gas is romped on. Oddly, it does not show the shudder when you feather the gas up, i.e. a soft touch. Only when you really romp on the thing. Haven't had a chance to drive it around yet, but don't hold out much hope.

Also haven't done the COP yet because I don't have one. Should I go out and do it? If so, should I go direct to the dealer or is one from Autozone OK?

Also, I realized that I have not changed the PCV valve. Should I do this and could this be the cause of my issues (see other post in this forum)?

And to clarify on the code being read from the PCM, the MIL is NOT ON. I am reading the code with a code reader bought from Autozone. It was showing a P03E8 code and says that it is "pending". Can anybody tell me what this means and if it has any relevance with my problems?

Any light shed will be GREATLY appreciated.