P0442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matty_kay

Reaction score
Looks like a popular topic.

I have the P0442 code popping up on my 2001 Eddie Bauer.

I have changed the gas cap and the EVAP canister purge valve, but the service light still turns on.

I will be attempting to change the hoses next, I see a brittle piece and hoping that’s the culprit.

My buddy says it could be the gas tank as well? Has anyone had experience with the gas tank being the cause? That would be my cutoff point. Thank you.

JerryT

Reaction score
It took about two months but I finally fixed mine. I replaced my gas cap (cleaned area around it), replaced purge valve and engine hose and still got the P0442 check engine light. I ordered a smoke test kit from Amazon $80 and performed a smoke test. Sure enough I found smoke leaking from a hose connector on the charcoal canister located underneath the truck under the gas fill line. The connector has an o-ring which I removed cleaned and greased and reinstalled (I didn’t have a new o-ring the exact size) and sure enough that fixed the problem and no more check engine light. I would have never found this leak without smoke testing.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be attempting to change the hoses next, I see a brittle piece and hoping that’s the culprit.
Good strategy, it could be the gas tank itself but inspecting every hose first might reveal an easier-to-fix culprit. My F150 had a P0442 caused by a field mouse gnawing a hole in the tank's vent hose.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered a smoke test kit from Amazon $80 and performed a smoke test. I would have never found this leak without smoke testing.
@JerryT Would you provide a link to the kit you bought? On startup, my 1999 has a faint gas odor from the vicinity of the tank and the charcoal canister looks sketchy.