P0500 VSS Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the manual. I wish it had a search function. It is a software package, not a .pdf version of a paper manual, and it isn't what I was expecting. Not what I would call "user friendly" - but,,,

However, for now, I think the perceived issue is not really an an issue at all. The certified Texas State Vehicle Inspector that I initially asked about the P1000 code told me that the presence of that code, in "emissions" counties, was cause for automatic emissions inspection failure. No exceptions, no work-arounds, period. Well, turns out that just ain't true. Per Texas Department of Public Safety, www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/ready_not.htm, since I have no MIL activated, and only one "Not Ready" monitor, the vehicle will pass emissions inspection.

"Remember Effective October 15, 2008:
For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail."

I still have the P0500 code, but that isn't an emissions code, so for inspection purposes, it's irrelevant. Since I have no symptoms to indicate where the problem lies (all related sensors give reasonable data readings, which would seem to eliminate a short or open circuit), and there seems to be a decided lack of good and practical diagnostic information, and there are no other associated codes, I'm going to be a lot less concerned about clearing the code. I did find a reference to the ignition switch causing the a P0500, along with a couple of others, that was addressed by a recall. I'll have to see if that recall covers my Dish. I also found a reference to a bad coil leaking high voltage into the primary circuit causing the code, but since my code happens when the key is turned to RUN or START, and not while the truck is running, I believe this can not be my issue.

I will continue to search for the correct solution, but at a much more leisurely pace, and I will update this when the solution is found.