Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have alot of bubbling and corrosion on my 07 Expy. I was wondering, are there any aftermarket replacements for hood/hatch??

There likely are (ask the local body shop), but if you replace them with Ford OEM parts and have them painted at a reputable repair shop you should have no more issues. Reputable shops will ensure that it's prepped properly and they won't paint an oxidized surface as Ford did. They will also give you a limited lifetime warranty on the paint.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been told by 2 professionals, that it can be fixed, but not by conventional methods

• Remove tailgate
  • Remove all glass and trim
  • Sand the entore door. Use putty to fill in any voids.
  • Sand blast the inside
  • Clean well inside and out including a tack cloth
  • Prime with zinc chromate primer
  • Paint
  • Let dry at least 12 hours before reassembly
  • Inner seams should be sprayed with some kind of oil based anti-corrosion like Fluid Film, repeat every year or two.

Both people claim they never had any come backs.

rjdurkin

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Expedition that has lots of paint bubbling on the lift gate and since it has over 36,000 thousand miles on it Ford said they would cover half the repair. This shouldn't be happening to a 3 year old vehicle that has a $50,000 list price or any vehicle this new at any price. They obviously have known about the problem for a long time and have chosen not to do anything about it. As a loyal and long time Ford customer I am truly disappointed and it will definitely affect my buying decision in the future. Why would anyone buy a new Ford truck that is all aluminum when they can't, will not or are unable to come up with a solution for bubbling paint on a aluminum lift gate and when there is a problem, are not willing to cover the cost for their mistake.

Alclancy68

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Expedition that has lots of paint bubbling on the lift gate and since it has over 36,000 thousand miles on it Ford said they would cover half the repair. This shouldn't be happening to a 3 year old vehicle that has a $50,000 list price or any vehicle this new at any price. They obviously have known about the problem for a long time and have chosen not to do anything about it. As a loyal and long time Ford customer I am truly disappointed and it will definitely affect my buying decision in the future. Why would anyone buy a new Ford truck that is all aluminum when they can't, will not or are unable to come up with a solution for bubbling paint on a aluminum lift gate and when there is a problem, are not willing to cover the cost for their mistake.

Alclancy68

Reaction score
My husband and I have always owned Fords. Between us both we've had 9 over the course of 20 years. The last 2 that we purchased were a 2006 Ford Expedition XLT & 2005 Ford F150 4WD. These were purchased brand new off of a Ford dealership lot. NEVER AGAIN will we buy Ford vehicles!! The paint on my Expedition started to bubble less than 2 years after buying it. I took it to Bonnell Ford where I purchased it from. I was more or less told "Too bad". I contacted Ford headquarters and was basically told the same thing. Not only is there a paint issue with the Expeditions but apparently they have a SERIOUS problem with spark plugs blowing up the engine! Guess what?! 2 sparkplugs blew in my engine taking out my A.C. as well as a host of other damage under my hood. Ford will ONLY cover a small part of their poor workmanship and ludicrous engineering design!. My vehicle has only 107,000 miles on it and it's worth NOTHING now!
I should have known when my 2002 Ford Taurus' head gaskets blew that this was NOT going to be the last time that Ford sells a faulty vehicle! But I believed the salesman and purchased another Ford. WHAT A MISTAKE!! Ford DOES stand for "Find On Road Dead" or "Fix Often & Repair Daily"

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Paint is bubble free after 198,000 miles on my 2003 Eddie Bower. My new 2016 looks pretty good, too...
brick

jk247

Reaction score
Just got a 2008 Expedition Limited and noticed the paint bubbling on the tailgate. Where do we file complaints at?

Last edited:

skeeter

Reaction score
Happening to my 2014 and Ford is going to have it repaired.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oldwizard1 had some good comments regarding prep and surfaces, but the areas of corrosion infer that perhaps it is Galvanic corrosion as the cause (dissimilar metals in contact with each other set up a current that leads to corrosion). Has anyone tried installing some sacrificial anodes to arrest/prevent corrosion?

Last edited:

Mike2005

Reaction score
So I was just washing my 2011 and noticed bubbling on my hood. Some bubbling just above the grille on the hood and another spot up the hood right below the windshield... Is this really happening on a 2011 with only 26000 miles on it? Anyone have the e-mail address to file the complaint?
Sad, been looking to buy a newer expy in the 2011-2013 range and I've looked at about 10 so far, all of which have rust on tailgate. I had this issue with my 2005. How is it that Ford cannot get this corrected after all these years.