Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also there may be an excellent opportunity for an after market for Hoods and Lift Gates, made from Carbon Fiber or other materials that will hold up over time.
I've said that for a couple of years now, why hasn't someone developed fiberglass hoods and liftgates for all of the 2nd gen on up models. You certainly wouldn't have any paint issues.

If you get your vehicle repainted find a body shop certified to work on aluminum bodies. They will have the tools and the right paint for doing the job correctly.

Matt63

Reaction score
2014 Expy Limited in Tuxedo black...31K miles and I just noticed it last week. Extensive bubbling on the hood edge and hatch edge.

Update...Brought my Expedition to the dealer, they took pictures and then got an authorization from Ford to repair it. According to the dealer I use, the bottom line is this...Be aware as this will ONLY be covered under the bumper to bumper 3 yr 36k warranty...Not through any extended warranties whether through Ford or any other company. This forum was the reason that I was aware of the problem AND was on the lookout for it. Thanks.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm out of the bumper to bumper, but the truck is not even 3 years old yet, and I have this problem on my hatch. In all honestly, I'll bring them to court for this before I pay a penny to have it fixed. And that's not how I usually talk, but this is absolute crap that they aren't solving this problem. I own a 2014 Expy Limited, and a 2015 F350 Lariat Powerstroke. These are my first two Fords, as I always stayed away from them, but took the chance. If they don't stand up and do what's right, I'm pretty confident these are my last.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that this will help most people or even make you feel better, but the following verbiage has been added to the Ford US standard warranty as of 2016MY.

If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy that they leave the rest of us in the dust. Not good customer service.
CONCUR !

At the same time, I think they needed to put that clause in there to dissuade concerns of potential F150 buyers who had experienced the problem on other Ford vehicles.

The aluminum skin F150 and I would assume the upcoming aluminum skin Expedition/Navigator use a different paint process, from the coating at the aluminum factory, to the cleaning process, priming and painting.

angry owner

Reaction score
Not that this will help most people or even make you feel better, but the following verbiage has been added to the Ford US standard warranty as of 2016MY.

If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.
any idea where I can download this to shove it in my dealer's face?
My 2016 EL is bubbling at 40k miles. I have been declined by Ford in every avenue so far. I even bought the extended warranty and that paint sealer crap they offer at the dealership.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford really sucks on this one. I really can't believe how poorly handled this is. It really makes me rethink buying another after this Expedition and F350 PSD.