Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Ford

Reaction score
Rust on the rocker panels and the paint defect being discussed in this thread are two different issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My bad. Haven't found a thread of someone else with a similar issue and that it might apply hear as it is corrosion and can be an extension of the bubbling located at the hood and lift gate. Like I stated I didn't get to see it in it's beginning and I am sure there was bubbling to begin with and this could cause some owners to look at the rocker panels as well to further investigation their corrosion issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Well, less than 2 years old and starting to rust. This is at the bottom of the rear hatch. It is about 4 inches long.

I have the car washed at least once a week so it should not be a 'salt' issue.

I have sent a tweet to Ford service. I am concerned about it being the same if repaired at the dealer.

Any thoughts?

20180421_212308.jpg

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There’s 365 “thoughts” on this thread. Not much more to say here except good luck chasing Ford on this. I’d recommend getting some of the mentioned paint chemists involved and engaging in a small claims court suit. You’ll get some $$$ hopefully for your effort but there doesn’t appear to be a permanent fix. I wish someone made aftermarket steel liftgates and hoods but for now nada.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Well, less than 2 years old and starting to rust. This is at the bottom of the rear hatch. It is about 4 inches long.

I have sent a tweet to Ford service. I am concerned about it being the same if repaired at the dealer.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 24738
What year

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hood and tailgate on my '14 are bubbling around the edges.
I can only imagine what the full aluminium bodies will look like in a 5 years.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hood and tailgate on my '14 are bubbling around the edges.
I can only imagine what the full aluminium bodies will look like in a 5 years.

They will look just fine. Spend some time reading through this thread and you’ll find that this was an issue with the stamping equipment used on certain models. It was rectified for future trucks.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

It isn't rust in the traditional sense. It is dissimilar metal issues with iron contamination on or in the aluminum panel.

This looks identical to what I had, except paint color. First, are you under 36,000 miles? If so, it should be relatively simple to get the dealer to look into it.

So before you begin the fight to get it covered some suggestions on how to play hardball:

• Print out and take a copy of the TSB with you.
  • Find out who regulates automobile issues in your state both for vehicle quality, repair and also dealers licensing. California that is the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair, and DMV Office of Investigations respectively. Make a note of which agencies they are and their phone number on the TSB print out. When you show the TSB to the dealer they will recognize the agencies names and know you have researched it.
  • If not getting any traction, go over and talk to a sales manager, on the showroom floor in front of customers looking at new vehicles. Mention the year of your vehicle, the short time you have owned it, etc. The sales manager will start pushing the service department on your behalf because what you are saying can affect their sales.
  • Mine was a CPO with less than 500 miles from leaving the lot when I noticed it. When coverage was first denied I went to the showroom, and discussed it with several managers. I made a point that Ford's owner phone number had already told me that this wasn't covered under CPO warranty, but would have been under the first 36,000 miles. I pointed out they told me the 12 month/12,000 covered the same as the original 3 year/36,000. In front of customers.

If over 36,000 miles, try to get the dealer to escalate the issue to Ford. Hang around a little while after they start it. With any luck they will do the moulding tape test, and pull paint up. When that happens Ford will probably cover it. Have the TSB with you to reference so they plan on replacement instead of just repainting. I didn't take them the TSB until they had already started the work so mine was repainted.

The category Ford tries to put it under is the 36,000 mile warranty. There is a 100,000 mile corrosion warranty, but Ford tried to say it only covered corrosion through the panel. The point of the moulding tape test was to test to see if it was sufficient to break the paint adhesion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357