Parasitic Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a parasitic battery drain for as long as I had the truck. (One year) The battery will die after not driving it for about a day. Now it is getting annoying. The last owner replaced the alternator in the last year and I got a free new battery under his warranty in December. My friend owned it before me and he mostly took it to Pep Boys and I have every receipt. Brought it to them 3 times so far asking them to charge the battery since it was under warranty. Last weekend when I went they said to leave it for them to do a diagnostic test to see where the problem was. I was told fuse #22 on the inside fuse box was the draw and not turning off after I shut off the engine.
They said they wouldn't be able to do the work and to go to an electrical shop. Today went to two shops, the first was an a/c place that I trusted and have been to before. The said they are backed up fixing air conditioners and to try an guy next door. The next guy I went to said it may of may not be the junction box. He said it would be a gamble to fix it because he could replace the whole box and I would still have the problem. He said go to the dealership where a new box will be $300 and they have a better chance of fixing it the first time.

Can someone please help?

1997 Eddie Bauer 5.4 4 WD

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you should do is to get a volt meter or a test light and hook it to fuse 22 and see if there is voltage present when the key is out of the IGN. The only time you should have voltage to fuse 22 is when the key is in the run position.

If you do have voltage present at fuse 22 when the key is out it could be a short in the IGN switch or a short in the wiring

Check for the voltage and report back with the results

OP
OP
nycnftm

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, already paid for diagnostic. It is #22 with the draw. Im asking what to do now that I know its the fuse the powers the whole box

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason I asked you to check for the voltage is so you would see it for yourself Not doubting that you paid someone else to do it for you.

But being you are taking someone else's word for it and then asking for free help here on the forum Then your next step would be to disconnect the connector at the IGN switch and see if the voltage disappears at fuse #22

I can only assume that you can not read and understand wiring diagrams since you have been going to shops.

You problem is either a bad IGN switch or bad wiring and until you give me voltage readings there isn't much more information I can offer at this point

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are some things people should be flogged for and this is one of them. Not the OP, the sheetheads that did the so called "diagnosis". Half azz at best.

Fuse #22 (engine bay) is similar to the main breaker in your home's breaker box. It feeds multiple branches, with fuses on each branch after it - just like your home box.

Check the floorboard driver side to see if it is wet.

Now OP, if you have a multimeter that can handle at least 10A of current and are able to read wiring diagrams, pm me your email address and I'll send you some info. If not, get a meter, send me your email and bedrck47 and I will walk you through finding the circuit the draw is on.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There may be one other possibility that could cause the problem. If the connector on the back of the fuse block has ever bee disconnected and reconnected it is possible that the pin for fuse #22 could have been bent and shorted to another pin. Now before you think that this isn't possible. The only reason I say this is because it has happened to me but for a different circuit I will see if I still have the picture and post it so you can see what I am explaining to you.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
see the attached pics the first pic is what a normal connector looks like the second pic is of the bent pin

If this condition is in your fuse box it would cause the problem you are having However the pins that are shorted in the pictures would not be the same pins in your fuse box but would be similar

Attachments

• DSCN0344.jpg
    DSCN0344.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0345.jpg
    DSCN0345.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your GE Multimeter will handle up to 10 amps according to the on line manual. I'll send you diagrams later tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nycnftm

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wet?

Not sure when to test the floor for being wet considering today is the first time driving it in a week. Will check it with the meter tomorrow. Thanks