Peeling Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVgirl

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expedition that has paint peeling on my hood and lift gate. I have brought to Fords attention but they seem to not want to admit it's a manufacturer issue. I have seen several Expeditions with the same issues. Has anyone on here managed to get Ford to fix it?

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I went to the dealer and they paint is only covered for rust through. I told them it was clearly a latent defect that should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and they refused.

I see lots of Expeditions with the same issue.

Now they have switched the F150 to aluminum. Bold move. I sort of hope it bite them hard because of how they treated me.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The hood and lift gate are Aluminum. Ford use of aluminum is not new. I be willing to bet, this may be the issue, with the paint. Ford has painted older F150's, with peeling paint, in the past. It is a nightmare job. All paint has to be stripped, down to the metal. Do some research and ask to talk to the local Ford Rep. You are probably not the only one, with this problem.Tell him you may never, buy an other Ford(this is important). If you are original owner, they may fix it.

Matthew R

Reaction score
I just had a body shop repaint my rear liftgate after ford said it was not a problem it cost me 250 dollars to get it redone

Cpflipse

Reaction score
My 2013 Expedition started the paint bubbling issue last fall and has $1200 worth of damage on the hood and rear lift gate in this short amount of time. That $1200 ONLY covers what needs to be fixed at the moment and not any other bubbling or peeling that will happen after they fix it. A Ford body shop quoted me these figures and also will not guarantee the paint job. The extended warranty purchased doesn't cover anything regarding the paint. I have gotten 2 Ford dealerships involved and have contacted Ford several times personally in writing. I don't think a 4 year old vehicle should need ANY type of paint work regardless if it is out of warranty or not. I owned my last Expedition for 15 years before trading to this one and never had this type of issue with the paint or anything Ford did not take care of. All of those years were through Minnesota winters too and that paint job held up. The form letters from Ford are pathetic and don't even answer your questions. Here is the latest quote from their last letter "Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. I appreciate you taking the time to contact us to share your vehicle concern. Ford Motor Company considers the satisfaction of its owners to be one of its most important objectives. We commit substantial resources and effort in a sincere attempt to resolve the concerns of our owners. Our records indicate that you were provided a response to your request". Unquote. Thanks Marsha Boyd, Customer Service Rep, it feels like a kick in the pants. Convenient to NOT add your e-mail address or phone number to the form letter either. So much for Ford loyalty, would be nice if they practiced what they put down on paper. So these are my options: 1. fix it now and pay the $1200 out of pocket and continue to invest $$$ into the continuing paint issue 2. trade if off and let the dealership fix it before they resell it plus take a loss on trade in value 3. start looking at other car companies. 4. Continue to let it blister and peel so the vehicle looks like crap. So much for making a good investment! Makes me frustrated and angry because I really, really love this vehicle!!!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle is 7 years old, they have made their profit years ago so they aren't going to paint for free.
It is way out of warranty.
Clear coats have been failing for years.
Look for someone that sprays airplane paint and have it repainted.

Or you can do the redneck paint job - Walmart rattle can

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's really annoying. Looks crappy on such an expensive vehicle. Personally I'd be okay with getting it fixed if anyone would actually guarantee that it wouldn't happen again