Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddog21

Reaction score
Just bought 99 Expedition going to use for work would like to update power without burning high octane any suggestions

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
High octane gas doesn't add power to an engine that isn't high compression or forced induction.

But if paying an extra $0.30 per gallon is too rich for you, then adding power the right way is going to be way too expensive.

stangracr

Reaction score
Do the usual intake (CAI) and exhaust mods. Either get it tuned or buy a tuner with "canned" tunes and specify you want to run 87 octane. I've heard replacing the COP's with MSD Street Fire units help.

briangelc

Reaction score
$pending hundred$ and even thoudand$ for an opened intake and exhaust, just to gain 5-8% power has always seemed worthle$$ to me. Your butt dyno will not notice an extra 18hp in a 5000lb truck anyways. Plus making your truck louder does not equal faster.
ProCharger has a supercharger kit that you will notice though. bolts-in in just hours. +70%hp puts you well into the 550hp range, and that's not even their stage 2 system. It costs only $5000.
Seriously though, check the spray pattern on your 1999 fuel injectors. If they are not efficient, you will lose power.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$pending hundred$ and even thoudand$ for an opened intake and exhaust, just to gain 5-8% power has always seemed worthle$$ to me. Your butt dyno will not notice an extra 18hp in a 5000lb truck anyways. Plus making your truck louder does not equal faster.
ProCharger has a supercharger kit that you will notice though. bolts-in in just hours. +70%hp puts you well into the 550hp range, and that's not even their stage 2 system. It costs only $5000.
Seriously though, check the spray pattern on your 1999 fuel injectors. If they are not efficient, you will lose power.
Spending hundreds makes plenty of sense. Spending thousands for an intake and exhaust is just dumb and I don't even think possible

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford Triton V8 is not a high performance engine. It is a work horse in a heavy SUV. The only way to "feel" more power is to double it. That means making 550+ hp. That will cost more than the truck is worth.