Photos of Trailer(s) that you tow with your Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my truck hauling hay for the fall harvest. Usually get 210 to 230 bails at 70 to 100lbs each on top of a 3k or 4k trailer. Also here is me towing the old jeep to its current resting spot. Jeep was filled with parts and gear and was arpund 5 to 5.25k.

Both instances the truck towed with ease. The bales would be a problem on the road but hauling it across the farm to the barn was easy enough.

uploadfromtaptalk1428684605378.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428684714028.jpg

DTedeschi

Reaction score
Off top the races!

This is exactly what I tow, a BMW Spec e30 (Mine is white), on a open 18' roll back trailer. I do have a front fairing on the trailer. I know for a fact my trailer is 1950 lbs and the E30 Spec empty, is 2500 lbs (I scale at 2700lbs with me in it, fuel and ballast). Trailer has a spare tire mounted on it and two 5 Gallon Gas cans, plus tools in the E30 putting the tow load to 5,000 lbs. With my BMW E36 M3 I am at 5,500 lbs. Not a problem to cruise the legal limit of 80 mph on the toll way in Austin Texas with either car. Average 12 mpg from Fort Worth to Austin with an average cruising speed of 65-70 mph. Which is about the average for all my tows I have made in last past 10 years. The longest has been about 1,900 miles.

I have PM a few of y'all about my plans to upgrade to an 24' enclosed trailer. With the Spec E30 loaded in it I am figuring I will be towing 6,200 lbs. I own a 5.4 Liter, 2000 Expedition, with the Ford Heavy duty tow package, 3.73 gears, aux trans cooler, self-leveling, etc.

Would really appreciate knowing about experiences of others towing an enclosed race trailer or something similar. Also please tell me if I need to do anything like an anti-sway system or something else.

Thanks

Last edited:

rice_classic

Reaction score
I have PM a few of y'all about my plans to upgrade to an 24' enclosed trailer. With the Spec E30 loaded in it I am figuring I will be towing 6,200 lbs. I own a 5.4 Liter, 2000 Expedition, with the Ford Heavy duty tow package, 3.73 gears, aux trans cooler, self-leveling, etc.

Would really appreciate knowing about experiences of others towing an enclosed race trailer or something similar. Also please tell me if I need to do anything like an anti-sway system or something else.

Thanks

You may want to avoid the 24' if possible. Reason: Windsail. You get a strong side wind at the length of the 24 (not the weight) will catch so much of the wind it may wag the dog in a dangerous way. But this is up to you. Also your race car is heavier than mine (mine is only 2200#s) so if you go with a 24' full loaded for a race weekend you may be towing dangerously close to your max which isn't recommended, especially for the distances you tow.

Perhaps limit yourself to a 8.5x20'. This was my decision for my race car and my 2002 expy with big-tow. I have a 8.5x20, weighs 3200# empty.. Fully loaded (with car and all) it's roughly 7500#. A 24' is about 300-400# heavier dry and if you add a tire rack or benches or A/C you're adding even more weight and you're 1st gen Expy will be towing at it's absolute max and you won't like that and neither will it.

You won't be going up any hills over 60MPH with a giant box behind you.. The weight combined with the wind resistance is too much, you will drop speed quickly as the incline increases but I've been up some pretty steep mountains and can maintain 50mph then on the flats it like 65mph.. above that you're using A LOT more pedal and fuel economy drops to ~7mpg.

I use the 1000# Equalizer Hitch and I wouldn't use anything else. Being able to turn tight and back up without having to get out and unhook my anti-sway is a gift from gawd. Spend the money on the Equalizer, set it up properly and you'll be towing your big box with 1 hand no problem. I just towed back from central oregon to Seattle and the head winds and cross winds were brutal, ~30-40mph winds. Equalizer was amazing.. at no point did I ever feel panicked and when big trucks passed and the big gusts hit, the equalizer damped the sway immediately. It was wonderful.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you posted up your pic towing your Spec E30? They are great little cars.

This is exactly what I tow, a BMW Spec e30 (Mine is white), on a open 18' roll back trailer. I do have a front fairing on the trailer. I know for a fact my trailer is 1950 lbs and the E30 Spec empty, is 2500 lbs (I scale at 2700lbs with me in it, fuel and ballast). Trailer has a spare tire mounted on it and two 5 Gallon Gas cans, plus tools in the E30 putting the tow load to 5,000 lbs. With my BMW E36 M3 I am at 5,500 lbs. Not a problem to cruise the legal limit of 80 mph on the toll way in Austin Texas with either car. Average 12 mpg from Fort Worth to Austin with an average cruising speed of 65-70 mph. Which is about the average for all my tows I have made in last past 10 years. The longest has been about 1,900 miles.

Thanks

DTedeschi

Reaction score
A little off topic, but this best I can do. The Spec E30 Race Car in Front of the Expedition.

Currently the Expedition, Race Car and trailer are in Texas and I got to tow them up here to Yankee Land in October.

I need to take a picture of the car loaded up on the trailer and a picture of the scale setup I used to put 500 lbs in the hitch. When I get the right weight on the hitch, towing is a breeze. 85 mph can be done with cruise control and one hand on the wheel When the weight on the hitch is too low, towing at speeds over 65 mph can be a side to side trailer dance, and pleads to, as they say in Texas, Jesus take the wheel please.

Which asks the question: Do I really need a Equalizer Hitch when I got the weight on the hitch correct?

attachment.php

Attachments

• E30 and Expedition.jpg
    E30 and Expedition.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 559

rice_classic

Reaction score
I need to take a picture of the car loaded up on the trailer and a picture of the scale setup I used to put 500 lbs in the hitch. When I get the right weight on the hitch, towing is a breeze. 85 mph can be done with cruise control and one hand on the wheel When the weight on the hitch is too low, towing at speeds over 65 mph can be a side to side trailer dance, and pleads to, as they say in Texas, Jesus take the wheel please.

Which asks the question: Do I really need a Equalizer Hitch when I got the weight on the hitch correct?

On an enclosed, you would have to. Your expy's tow rating is listed with Weight Distribution as part of the equation. Without a WD hitch like an equalizer, you'd be exceeding your tow capacity (tow capacity w/o hitch =/= tow capacity w/ hitch).

Secondly, the IRS will absolutely not like the tongue weight of a fully loaded 24' enclosed (or even a 20').

With an WD Hitch your towing experience will be calm, cool, collected and relaxing. Also, stop speeding. There isn't a trailer tire in the world that's rated for higher than 65mph. You're over stressing the tires and setting yourself up for replacing trailer tires on the side of the road. But then again, my 2003 expedition simply cannot do 80mph with my enclosed behind it.. You could drop expy w/ trailer out of airplane and it wouldn't exceed 70mph.

Finally, scroll down in this thread. Good enough reason for me to have an Equalizer hitch:
nasaforums.com • View topic - USTCC @ Miller Motorsports photos!

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fc318f74584dc5c849453fff0c8ce0be.jpg

Here's a pic of mine towing our old jet ski with a trailer that is way too big for just one jet ski haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk