Photos of Trailer(s) that you tow with your Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got myself a trailer over the weekend. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but the real test will be this Friday when I pick up all my tile for a project at the cottage.

jc5pfa7.jpg

K6RwNBB.jpg

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know the size or weight but i lugged this thing around for a couple of days. in the back was a Mule 4 wheeler. pulled it like a charm with no sway or WD hitch.

Attachments

• 242.jpg
    242.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 193

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rented this guy for the next week!

Jayco 280QBSH 28' 6000lbs or so...

With an Equilizer weight distribution hitch this thing is solid! Definitely know it's back there but hey...

6d34e0dbe1d6e333d4c69442d5fbfbd6.jpg

f5a91376b74ff07cc2d3ee34aea248b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trip update: made it to eastern Washington yesterday, Snoqualmie pass proved to be a force to be reckoned with. The load combined with the boat on top made overdrive an impossibility and as long as the rpms were above 2400 she cruised fine, 3500 was the upper limit I didn't feel comfortable going over so I had to be diligent the entire time.

I really think the transmissions in these aren't suited well as the tach drops below the power band in 2nd before 1st is even approachable! Yes, at the top of the pass I did actually drop to about 35mph, mostly carried 50 though!

70-75 came up a few times and it was surprisingly stable!

Unloaded this trailer specs out at 5600lbs so I'm guessing with all our stuff we were at about 63-6500 plus the boat and motor, us, and then the dogs and their kennels. Yah, with 3.55 gears and larger tires I'm glad she did as well as she did!

Averaged 8mpg with AC on most of the way (turned it off on the pass).

dspfeiffer

Reaction score
2009 Expedition EL Limited, towing a 2013 Keystone Cougar 31SQB. This is our fourth (2012-2015) season towing this TT, thousands of miles with no problems. We have a Husky centerline WD hitch and sway is never a problem even when the semi's pass. A little waggle, then back on track. It's a little heavy at the tongue, but I never feel it in the handling.

We bought it in Indiana and towed it back to NJ. Since then it's all east coast, so not too many mountains to deal with. We're due for a new truck this year and I am looking at the 2016 Expedition EL. I love our truck and am looking for essentially the same truck, just a little more HP and torque from the EB. Can't hurt!

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

Last edited:

rice_classic

Reaction score
Yah, with 3.55 gears and larger tires I'm glad she did as well as she did!

Averaged 8mpg with AC on most of the way (turned it off on the pass).

It might be the 1st gen, combined with taller tires and the 3.55. I have a 2003 with OEM sized tires and the 3.73s. I tow a 20' enclosed with race car and equipment and when I went to Spokane and back (passes, etc) it did just fine with the O/D off. Up the passes I would be down in 2nd gear but nonetheless it'd do 50-55mph no problem. It seemed to enjoy 3500-3800 RPM without complaint when getting up the steep stuff. My trailer, fully loaded is ~7500lbs and the front is flat (no V-nose or bubble nose) so the aero is horrific.

The worst is coming back (east to west) up Vantage through the Gorge. Holy moly, that's the real test. Once again 2nd gear, 50mph no problem.

On the flats it moseys along at 60-70 just fine because that's the aero-terminal-velocity (and WA freeway speed limits). It really struggles above that, not due to weight but due to aero. You could drop my expy+trailer out of a cargo plane and it wouldn't free fall faster than 70mph. :)

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah that vantage hill is a killer test, I was able to pull 50-55 as well most of the way in 2nd with no pedal to spare, I was impressed nonetheless. Coming down snoqualmie I accidentally caught myself doing 80 once, kinda scary

tcdawg

Reaction score
D4CF217F-E442-46EA-995C-58E227ED7B83.jpg