please help clarify

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjochim

Reaction score
My husband and I just purchased a 2016 expedition XLT in hopes of purchasing a lightweight travel trailer. Here is what we know:
3.15 axle ratio
3.5L V6 Ecoboost
4 pin connector
standard Class IV tow package
hitch says 6,000# or 9,200#with weight distributing hitch
12,300 GCWR
truck weight approx. 5700#

Question:
Can we safely pull a TT with dry weight of 5,000#/gross weight approx. 6,500#?
What is necessary to add? we plan to add a 7pin connector, and brake controller. We assume tranny cooler... upgrade radiator? anything else?
Is the axle ratio a huge limiting factor?

If 5,000# is too much, what would be more realistic?

We have talked to the dealership service center, who did not give us accurate info on the transmission cooler, we've talked to multiple RV dealerships who of course tell us what we want to hear to sell a trailer... not sure where to turn at this point to get accurate, realistic, and SAFE information. I realize that getting the HD tow would basically solve our concerns, but the prices in our area currently are unrealistic for us.

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
2016 Ford Specs w/ 3.15 rear and 4x2 w/o HD tow package:

6,600 max loaded trailer weight

Might want to check the f150 forum. e.g.
http://www.f150forum.com/f82/trip-report-overloaded-towing-25-fifth-wheel-ecoboost-229075/
http://www.f150forum.com/f82/trip-report-overloaded-towing-25-fifth-wheel-ecoboost-229075/
Power does not appear to be an issue. The 3.15 rear end might lead to more down-shifting - but doesn't sound like a huge limiting factor.

You are right at the limit w/o the HD tow package. My guess is you will be fine w/ the items you listed: weight distributing system w/ sway control, brake controller, tranny cooler (definitely!!), etc. I would also consider upgrading tires when the stock ones need replaced - such as an LT w/ either D or E load rating. E might be overkill and likely a bit bumpier ride. At the very least, I would air up your stock tires to close to max when towing (or whatever is recommended on your door sticker).

It's too bad you weren't able to spec/find an XLT w/ the towing package :-(

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Standard tow capacity is 6600 lbs. It jumps up to 9200 lbs capacity with the HD tow package. You should be fine with a 5000 lb dry weight trailer. By the time you load it, will probably be somewhere around 6000 lbs towed, which is within your limits.
You will want a Weight Distributing hitch, regardless of tow rating. Consider adding a transmission cooler. Radiator is likely OK, but ask a towing shop.
Engibe power is a non-issue with the 3.5 EcoBoost.
brick

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
I know that this is an old post but for future reference I need to add one more qualifier. I found out the hard way that weight towing capacity is not the only consideration, the wind resistance of the towed vehicle is a large factor also. We upgraded our popup to a 23' travel trailer pulled by our 2000 Explorer EB 5.0 and found that while it was easily within our weight limits (4000 out of a 5000 lb limit) it was everything that truck could do to pull that trailer. I traded for our current 2007 Expedition Limited which has an 8k capacity and found our 22 mpg highway mileage down to only 10 mpg or even 8 mpg with a head wind. Bottom line, look at the type of trailer not just it's weight.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally agree.

However,
Had you looked at the owners manual for the Explorer you would notice that even though it had a good weight limit it did state that you should not exceed 50 sq ft frontal area on the trailer A pop-up normally is less than 35 sq ft frontal area whereas a Travel trailer is normally over 64 sq ft frontal area. Most people fail to notice that when they upgrade.

And to compound that error most dealers will not inform you of the frontal area requirement and will tell you that your vehicle can tow it with no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni