Police Expo Owners

Was your Expedition used as Police or Government

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lothario

Reaction score
My 2000 Expy was a K-9 Unit owned by the Scottsdale Arizona Police Department. I purchased it at an auction. The rear seats were missing, along with the console and radio. It had 116,000 miles on it and had been well maintained. The equipment was for the most part removed with the wiring harnesses being cut out.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not to get off topic but i was considering a gov't owned vehicle a few weeks ago. the prices are so low but i was wondering if you guys had any problems with them. i mean i can just imagine how much abuse these vehicles go through! one was a ppv (police persuit vehicle)

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I bought mine for 6300.00 form California with 77k and now have 89k and has been the best used vehicle I have ever owned.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably luck. Unless it comes with some kind of documentation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

PTRJason

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new here, usually on eLightbars.org (same user name as here).

I picked up a 2005 Expedition XLT, 4x4 SSV U16 option in April of this year.

Had 53,000 miles, and looks brand new. $14,500 out the door.

It was a Gov't vehicle, but not sure from where. Was put of for auction in Sacramento, CA, but not sold so it went to a dealer here in Southern California where I picked it up.

Only one antenna, was a slicktop, and still had some of the mounts for the interior lightbar, and cut outs in the rear trim where the rear traffic advisor was mounted. No wear AT ALL in the seats, or wheel, so first thing I did was buy a seat cover and wheel cover.

Mine has:
-Rubber floors.
-Overhead console.
-Third row seat.
-Strobes in corner lamps and tail lights, wiring ran to rear, under the rear storage pocket.
-Wires cut at the lower dash for all the emergency equip.
-No center console

No Pics yet, but before I start my install, I will do before and after pics.

I plan on installing a Unity Spotlight, will have to drill the holes, and notch the door and it was not sent from the factory with one.
A full police console, siren/light control, strobes, Whelen Inner-Edge front, rear SignalMaster, radios (3), scanner, and a computer will all be installed once I finish getting the rest of what I need.

For my personal touches, I plan on tinting the rear windows limo tint, and front drivers and pass window a light shade. I also want to get those stupid, but very functional and sleek looking window vent visors. Maybe a 2-3 inch lift or level kit. And someday, if it is not 30 years later by the time I can afford it all, up grade the brakes, and shocks, and add a power chip.

:wave:
I do have one question however:
My Expy's dome lights come on when I open the doors. I do NOT want that. I want to dark when I open the doors, unless I turn the dimmer switch up.

I know it is probably in the programming and a trip to Ford, I can probably have it fixed, but I do not have the money, nor the desire to take it there.

What I would like to find out, is if anyone knows the wiring diagram for the dimmer switch? What I want to do it, put a toggle switch near the light control, or on one of the blanks near the shifter on the dash.

I would like to put it so I can have dark mode when I want, so if I am not at work and in the truck, I can have dome lights, and when I go to work, I can hit the switch and it will kill that. Pretty much trick it to think the dimmer is all the way down.

Also does anyone have any PDF files of what specs the SSV models can come with, kind of like an upfitters guide or modifiers guide, so when I do my build I can use that. I know the newer models have them, but a lot has changed, and I heard that the older ones do not have it. But it would be nice to have something.

Thank you for any help, and thanks for the awesome forums.

And by the way, I voted for Gen-2 :)

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have many pages of service records where they changed and inspected the oil, inspected the spotlight handle, installed a cage for a canine etc. The vehicle package has the holes on top for lights etc.