Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchampion

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... Is it weird that my 03 just started doing the same thing today? I almost never run the rear AC since I usually roll with the windows down, and usually never have passengers. If the top front controller is left on "Rear", there is a clicking noise every second(kinnda like a grandfather clock). The noise is there regardless of the fan speed chosen in the second row climate control.
But, if I put it on 2-5 for fan speed on the top front control, there is a thumping noise every second.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Appears to be a Ford-ism!

Grandfather clock describes this perfectly in my Explorer's rear AC/Heat unit! I wish I knew what was causing it or how to get to the unit. Been doing this for a couple of years!

-- Chuck

Last edited:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try slowing changing the temp control for the rear ac and see if it stops. If it does then either the temp selector is bad (try seeing if the same thing happens with the rear control) or the temperature damper door position sensor has given up on you. Try making a few cycles of the selector all the way hot to all the way cold a few times to see if it can align itself.

Matt

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After snooping around with a flashlight, I think I found out what the culprit is. It's a little foam-looking door that when closed, allows the air flow to the roof vents, and when open, routes the air to the floor. I took pictures, though I dont know if they'll load up.
On the 03 Expedition, it's the big vent looking thing in the third row seating on the passenger side. If you sat in the third row seat, on the right most seat(looking forward), it would probably be by your right knee. If you look in there, you'll see the little square foam looking door.
The problem that I see is that upon opening, or closing , it doesnt stop. When fully open/closed, it continues to try to open/close, as if something isn't telling it stop. So basically the motor is "tripping." Eventually, it stops, especially if the AC is on full blast and the door is open(floor mode.)

Hopefully this helps? Id like to see if this is the problem with your vehicles. My dad wants to "open" it up tomorrow to see what's wrong. If we do( and maybe fix it) Ill post our findings.

BTW, I did this with full cold and full hot.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the little foam looking door when it's closed, letting the air go to the roof vents. The clicking noise comes when it continues to want to close. It closes, clicks, the door "flicks" back open little bit, then tries to close again.
closedventroof.jpg

This the door when it's open, diverting air to the floor. Does the same thing as when it is closed, except that it thumps instead of clicking(though it someimes does click.)
openventfloor.jpg

Do you guys know what Im talking about when I say the motor "trips"? I know there's something that does it (a toy motor?) but can't remember exactly what it is.

Hopefully this helps paint some sort of picture of what the problem maybe.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ones i have seen do this were the temperature door. I guess the same thing can happen with the floor/ceiling door as well.
On yours when you select floor or ceiling it doesn't stop momentairily? If you cycle it a few times it might just reailgn itself.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It stops momentarily because it goes from trying to close, to trying to open, and vice versa. Yesterday, when I took the pix, I cycled between floor and roof vents many times, both in hot and cold temp settings. Sometimes, it would stop when in floor mode after a minute or so of thumping. Ill try again tomorrow.

Thnx :)

OP
OP
B

bchampion

Reaction score
Popping Sound

Yesteday I had time to play with the controls. The popping sound happened no matter which vent selection I chose for the rear, floor or roof. When I cycled the temp setting to max cold and max hot, that's when the popping sound was loudest, but it the sound was different at max cold and max hot. Now when I turned the dial away from max heat a few notches, the sound stopped. The sound would stop a few notches away from max cold also. Air blowing out of the vents was worm or cold depending on where I had the dial set. So my popping sound was only generated at the max settings. Any ideas/

Thanks,