Possible Crossed Trans Lines('01 XLT 4.6, 4R70W)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtroz

Reaction score
Hoping someone could take a look at the underside of their Expy and/or have a photo saved somewhere. I had a pinhole leak on one of the lines. I picked up new steel tubing, compression fittings, etc. The problem is instead of marking the lines prior to cutting (as I would for other jobs that have similar parts), I cut both on one end, and one end on the other, thinking once I'm ready to install the new tube, I should be able to easily match the tubes. Well, that didn't happen. Instead, when I went to test-fit the new tube, the way they lined up, either would fit and not create too much added stress on either line. They both lined up either orientation. One had a very slight curve in one orientation, but not overwhelming.

I spent hours searching for diagrams, posts, part sheets, etc., but none of what I found was I able to completely match each bend of the lines. I found several that looked similar but either had a bend that I didn't feel matched or the picture cut off on one side. After holding the old cut line up to the end then going back and forth trying to match stress marks, rust spots, discoloration, etc., I finally decided to install the new line to the tube I felt it went to. I added fluid, no leaks, and seems to run ok.

My questions are:

1: If I did cross the lines, what potential damage can I cause to the trans? Part of me says a little extra stress if gravity would typically let the fluid fall but the other part of me says I'm pretty sure it has a pump in it and if so, it's having to use extra pressure to "push" the fluid up into the radiator instead of down.

2: I attached a picture of the finished job. This is from the front looking back towards the rear. I marked the areas that would help identify the lines. I can find again which is the upper and which is the lower if needed, but I believe the upper is the one closest to the engine and has the "S" in the left circle on the image. If anyone has a picture of theirs, it would be really helpful to see if I connected the correct one to each.

TransLines_Marked.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. The transmission is a pump. It'll pump out fluid and through the coolers any way you have them plumbed.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For it to be effective and work run hot to cold other wise you are negateing the point actually warming it up. On a air to air correct does not mater on the in radiator does matter.

Line leading to top ( below radiator fill ) is trans cold
Line leading to bottom is your is warm. Need to follow flow of radiator going in it’s a clockwise flow

Last edited: