Power Distribution Relay Box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jseales

Reaction score
New, late 1997 Eddie Bauer 4x4 w/o air ride, owner here. Have been repairing or upgrading everything I can find that is not working. I have also made some upgrades (front lights, Nav/radio system, 90% of lights to led, all new speakers, etc.)

The running board lights did not work when I bought the Expy, so I have been running down the problem via Google. That only took me so far, so I purchased the repair manual dvd. PAYDIRT, schematics for miles. Except for a very important part, when it comes to the running board lights, the Power Distribution Relay Box (see photo). I found that the running board lights share a relay with the trailer battery charge line. Does anyone know if a reference/legend exists for the relays in the box or do we just guess what each one does?

18518-2d4d0d149ff52a13196ed159680b04d0.jpg

relay box.jpg

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

would you post a copy of the wiring diagram that shows "the running board lights share a relay with the trailer battery charge line"

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the info I have that is not a standard relay box. All show a single row of relays from 97-99.
Was yours a specialty equipped EB?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with stamp about that being a different relay box. Could you post a pic of the rest of the box with the cover off

OP
OP
jseales

jseales

Reaction score
Thank You for the welcome. I am going to put the three pages in a .pdf and highlight the path. The Expy is a late build '97 EB 5.4 4x4 with tow package and w/o air ride suspension. I just bought it about three months ago.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of the owners manual??

If you don't you can download a copy at owner.ford.com The owners manual will show the layout of the fuse blocks and they will be different than what you posted

Also you can go onto ford etis and enter your vin number and it will give readout of what was on the expy when built.

OP
OP
jseales

jseales

Reaction score
It is OEM you can tell. I do have all the original books and this is not in it. Great, I have a unicorn.
I went ahead and pulled that one large relay and did a continuity test at 30 and 87a, it was open. So I dropped it on the ground and tested it again and, surprise, it was closed. I now have 12 v. at fuse 4 in the mini fuse block (Engine Fuse Module) on the fender well. And with that I have running board lights. So, although the problem is solved, I would like to know if any other owners have that relay block.