Power Door Lock Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68gtxman

Reaction score
My remote entry fobs don't activate the door locks any more (tried new batteries and reporgamming, but still nothing). Even worse, when it's cold outside, it won't let you turn the key in the door lock right away. It may take up to 30 seconds sometimes. It feels like there is a security override holding the key from turning the lock and then it just lets go and allows the key to turn. It doesn't do this in the summer, but when the temps start getting to be around 50 degrees, it starts "delaying" the key turn. This sucks when it's raining or snowing! Does excatly the same thing from either driver's or passenger's doors.

I had a remote starter system installed a long while ago. It uses the door lock switch system to activate it, so it must be wired into that system. It worked for a few years, but now it doesn't allow the engine to run after engaging the starter - as if the security code is missing in the key. I reprogrammed that one day and it worked (except for the remote fobs) for a week and then lost the code again (reprogramming did not fix it again). The remote fobs don't work this system any more either (I presume it uses the same reciever/actuator as the door locks). Maybe the remote starte damaged something in the security system or door lock system over time? Is there a "security module" that is misbehaving - if so where is it and how do I test it?

OP
OP

68gtxman

Reaction score
I forgot to say that the the Expedition is a 1997 Eddie Bauer model, 4X4.

Thanks!