power door will lock but not unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trigg

Reaction score
I'll TRY to be brief but this is complicated. I left something on and my battery went dead. Of course after charging it the alarm horn went off when i started it and the fuel gauge went crazy. I reset it using the key in the door and putting it in the ignition to on for 10 seconds. Started it and no horn-fuel cage went to normal but when I turned it off and took the key out the motor kept running. Reset it by taking off the neg on the battery and turning on lights to drain caps -30 minutes. Car starts and runs fine BUT now I can unlock the drivers door with the remote or keypad-cant unlock any of the other doors using the remote or the master lock/unlock button on the arm rest (exception is the rear glass hatch) I can unlock all the door by hand and re-lock with the button on the armrest. The BIG problem is whatever button I push I cant unlock the rear hatch and of course there isn't a way to do it with the key.
So, I can lock all my doors with the button but can only unlock the drivers door and rear glass with it!

HELP!!
2005 expedition limited

OP
OP
T

trigg

Reaction score
I'll TRY to be brief but this is complicated. I left something on and my battery went dead. Of course after charging it the alarm horn went off when i started it and the fuel gauge went crazy. I reset it using the key in the door and putting it in the ignition to on for 10 seconds. Started it and no horn-fuel cage went to normal but when I turned it off and took the key out the motor kept running. Reset it by taking off the neg on the battery and turning on lights to drain caps -30 minutes. Car starts and runs fine BUT now I can unlock the drivers door with the remote or keypad-cant unlock any of the other doors using the remote or the master lock/unlock button on the arm rest (exception is the rear glass hatch) I can unlock all the door by hand and re-lock with the button on the armrest. The BIG problem is whatever button I push I cant unlock the rear hatch and of course there isn't a way to do it with the key.
So, I can lock all my doors with the button but can only unlock the drivers door and rear glass with it!

HELP!!
2005 expedition limited

oops, didn't mean to quote myself. The clicking when I try to unlock the doors comes from under the dash drivers side. There is a box there auto mate its AM6. It controls anti theft and key less entry one side says light flash polarity 1 2 and 3 also tach learn threshold. There is also a red button that lights up or flashes when pushed. Anyone know if this is the problem with not being able to unlock any door but the drivers door yet can lock them all with the remote?

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Automate AM 6 is an aftermarket (Directed Electronics) keyless entry / remote start / alarm module. Sounds like thats the problem. Getting it professionally uninstalled might be the best solution.

OP
OP
T

trigg

Reaction score
I appreciate the response but I'm a disabled vet via Viet Nam and right now don't have the $$$ to take it to a dealer. Is there anyway I can open the rear hatch? There is no place to unlock it with a key or from the inside I can
find. I can live with the car as is for a while if I can get the hatch open when I need to.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fwiw, on 1st gens, or at least 98, you can remove the hatch inner plastic cover, even when closed,

to then access the locking/unlocking mechanism,

if you can't do that on a 05, cutting out an opening, say with a dremel, would give access,

saw it on utube

OP
OP
T

trigg

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. There is a lop that you pull the door down with that has 2 screws inside. I've read that i can take the inner hatch cover off from the inside=pretty sure I can. However, I also read that because its a power lock-no key and no hand unlock from inside so no cable that I still wont be able to unlock/open it. Makes no sense to me.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. There is a lop that you pull the door down with that has 2 screws inside. I've read that i can take the inner hatch cover off from the inside=pretty sure I can. However, I also read that because its a power lock-no key and no hand unlock from inside so no cable that I still wont be able to unlock/open it. Makes no sense to me.
got a link for the highlighted part?

I'd take the cover off & have a look, gotta be some mechanism there from the end of the power door lock actuator rod, that would push/pull on something

you could also run wires from a battery to the pdla wiring

OP
OP
T

trigg

Reaction score
Usually when I run wires something catches fire. Actually the remote only unlocks the rear glass and the master button on the armrest will lock all the doors but wont unlock them except the driver door and the rear glass! it did before the battery went dead and messed with the computer. I'm might get out my cutting torch and turn it into a pick up truck!!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trigg, do you have the installation manual? I was able to find one for the 6.2 version.

You'll need a test light or meter and sewing needle to test for the unlock signal. Let me know when your ready.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try replacing the battery in your remote

I've had remotes from multiple manufacturers where some buttons worked a hell of a lot better than others, and strangely that was often remedied with a new battery