Power Folding Mirrors Issue ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Gruven

Reaction score
Hey all,

new to the forum, just wondering if anyone has had issues with their power folding mirrors on these great trucks. If anyone has had issues, we are interested in hearing about them, we might be able to help out with some free, more durable parts to try out. If you are interested in helping, post back here, or just email me directly.

Paul at GruvenParts dot com

Thanks!

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
other than a rattle.. i havent had any issues yet with folding in and out.... wish they were heated... but none the less.... what sort of parts are you implying Paul? just curious.. internals? casings? color matched outsides? just wondering...

OP
OP
P

Paul Gruven

Reaction score
For the GM units, we rebuild the main shaft drive gear from brass (it was plastic, and continually breaking). We also designed some new hi-torque electric motors for them, and new motor worm gears so it can all be dropped in relatively quickly. You can view all that on the GM Trucks section of our site (Gruvenparts dot com). We could do similar for these Ford trucks.

If anyone has a power fold mirror unit they can spare for a bit of time, we'll dismantle it and rebuild the weak plastic components from brass like we did with the GM units. Just email me if you want an unbreakable power fold mirror, free. Paul at GruvenParts dot com.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I have replaced my pass. side heated power fold with one from kool vue. And it too is doing what the previous one was. That is it seemed the gear stops had rotated and the centering of the housing is now off. It is stiff enough that I can manually put it in position and it will stay until I get on rough roads. I had no issue with the labor of replacing, so I would be interested in what your offering.
Thx

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Giving this a bump.
Anyone else had issues with the power fold mirrors losing their center point? I mean that they fold back out in to the wrong position. ie too far or not enough. I replaced 1 and after a yr+ it is acting up now too. I can't be the only one experiencing this can I?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not yet but I just installed a canopy to park my truck under so I retract then open the mirrors twice a day now....we'll see how they last!

No offense to you but I hope that IF they are going to fail, they do it fairly soon so Ford can replace them for me!

jeff

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely no offense taken. I hope the same for u. I was hoping there would be more interest in Paul's product. I dont wanna buy a whole new pfm.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely no offense taken. I hope the same for u. I was hoping there would be more interest in Paul's product. I dont wanna buy a whole new pfm.

I'm actually surprised as well and watched your thread when you first posted back in Feb...maybe the Ford mirrors don't break as often as the GM's do?
Who know....

best of luck!

jeff