Power Running Board issues -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Limited EL and I am trying to disable them. I get to the selection on the screen and which button do I hit to keep them disabled. They seem to try to go up every time I start the truck?
Should with be “auto” “off” or “out” options. Disable them with “off”

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After the baby snowfall we had last week, I agree with those that suggest disabling them in bad weather due to buildup & freezing...locking them up & resulting in bent pieces/damages.

It is a shame though that when we need them most...ie bad weather....they become a worry!

jeff

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Limited EL and I am trying to disable them. I get to the selection on the screen and which button do I hit to keep them disabled. They seem to try to go up every time I start the truck?

I believe once you're in the option screen you toggle by pressing "reset".

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you set them to out they will auto stow as soon as the vehicle goes above 5 MPH. You can turn them off and then they will stay stowed. For me turning them off isn't an option. I'm too short to get in without stepping up on something. Otherwise I'm trying to hook my cheek on the seat and then try to pull myself in by yanking on the steering wheel and the handle on the A pillar.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The BCM also has to have some sort of tracking for whether they are up or down. Every time I disconnect my battery and put it back they always do some kind of relearn. The driver's side must do it when I get in, but the passenger side will cycle up and down at least once after the battery has been disconnected, you haven't opened one of the doors, and you start moving faster than ~5mph.

That said, I'm not sure why they'd try to pull up every time you drive.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the manual, if you manually deploy the running boards through the left hand menu, they will automatically stow once the vehicle exceeds 5 mph. There is no option to leave them down unless you somehow disconnect the power to the running boards.

Automatic Power Stow

When you close the doors, the running
boards return to the stowed position after
a two-second delay.

Manual Power Deploy

You can manually operate the running
boards in the information display. See
General Information (page 90).
Set the running boards in the deployed
position to access the roof.
The running boards return to the stowed
position and enter automatic mode when
the vehicle speed exceeds 5 mph (8 km/h).

Enabling and Disabling

You can enable and disable the power
running board feature in the information
display. See General Information (page
90).

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
The BCM also has to have some sort of tracking for whether they are up or down. Every time I disconnect my battery and put it back they always do some kind of relearn. The driver's side must do it when I get in, but the passenger side will cycle up and down at least once after the battery has been disconnected, you haven't opened one of the doors, and you start moving faster than ~5mph.

That said, I'm not sure why they'd try to pull up every time you drive.
Thts correct. After battery DC, they default to “off” and they will open and close once you restart the ignition after each battery DC. Truck looks rediculois with them in the out position. Not sure why you’d want them out while driving anyways

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems that cold snow ice & grit really cause the Running board issues to arise ? Will mud flats at front wheels help ? What lubricant helps at the hinges ? Does it harm their relay or lift mechanisms if they fail to lift and stay up due to bad ice and grit build up ?

I bought my Expy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and went through two winters there....no problems with the running boards at all

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Expy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and went through two winters there....no problems with the running boards at all

You got lucky... once you get 6-8 inches of compacted snow and ice in there they break, and you can’t even kick it out if it’s cold enough. Here in NY everyone disables them, it’s either that or lose your motors after a year.