Power Running Boards to Fixed Aftermarket Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79fatcat

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been rummaging thru all the posts regarding the power running boards..

I have a 2011 Expy Limited MAX and want to remove the power running boards and replace them with fixed aftermarket running boards. I've noticed that some aftermarket vendors indicate that their boards "Will Not Fit On Vehicles Equipped With Power Retracting Boards". Have any of you replaced the power running boards with fixed aftermarket boards and noticed any difference in mounting points? Is there any merit to that aftermarket statement?

Also, have any of you compared the mounting points of the Expy EL/Max vs. a crew cab F150? I'm wondering whether take offs from an FX4 would jive.

Either option would work for me but would like to know for certain before dropping $$$.

Thanks!

XMan

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you would want to go from the power boards to fixed running boards? I have a couple questions myself in regards to power running boards. Anybody live in a snow state? How do the power boards perform in the winter with the snow and ice? Do they work when the snow and ice gets packed up in there?

Also is there a way to turn them on or off?

OP
OP

79fatcat

Reaction score
There is a way to turn them off (which I've done) but my preference is to have fixed running boards. The power running boards are starting to act up and I'd rather pay once to rectify the situation than pay again when they start to fail again.

As for snow and ice. I keep mine off specifically for that reason along with the mud that collects along the bottom. I use my truck for work (oilfield) and the conditions that I subject the truck to are exactly why I want to move towards fixed boards over powered.

XMan

Reaction score
There is a way to turn them off (which I've done) but my preference is to have fixed running boards. The power running boards are starting to act up and I'd rather pay once to rectify the situation than pay again when they start to fail again.

As for snow and ice. I keep mine off specifically for that reason along with the mud that collects along the bottom. I use my truck for work (oilfield) and the conditions that I subject the truck to are exactly why I want to move towards fixed boards over powered.

I figured that's why you wanted to go with fixed running boards. When I seen mine had the power running boards first thing I thought was there's a weak link. I can see them being trouble in snow and ice and mud build up. Many motor coaches come with automatic deploying steps. Seems to be the first thing that usually stops working.

Hopefully somebody comes along with the answer to your question I will be interested in the solution myself when I have problems which I'm anticipating I will.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you would want to go from the power boards to fixed running boards? I have a couple questions myself in regards to power running boards. Anybody live in a snow state? How do the power boards perform in the winter with the snow and ice? Do they work when the snow and ice gets packed up in there?

Also is there a way to turn them on or off?
On the 2017, you go into the left hand navigation menu, and go to settings. You can set them for automatic, off, or deployed. What I've read is that the trick to keeping them running correctly is to use an underbody wash often and to lube them regularly. I only drove through a little snow this year so I didn't have any really packed up underneath so I can't speak to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

79fatcat

Reaction score
So I took a chance and got Westin running boards even though it stated on their website that it wouldn't fit on Expeditions equipped with power running boards...

OP
OP

79fatcat

Reaction score
Direct bolt up with no issues. When I get a chance, I will take measurements of the brackets from the power running boards if anyone is interested in comparing them to the bracket spacing on an F150.

Last edited:

warrencjacob

Reaction score
I looked at the Westin running boards too and noticed that they state that they will not work on vehicles with power boards but after talking with them it seems that this is just a warning that you can't replace just the OEM board with the aftermarket board and keep it as power, not fixed. The power boards are designed for 2 brackets and to fit up under the vehicle. The Westin aftermarket boards use 3 brackets and are not designed to fit up under. But after watching several videos on Youtube of aftermarket boards being installed on F-150s and looking at the holes in place on my 2008 Expedition EL I am convinced that the Westin boards and mounting kit with 3 brackets will work. I will post again after I get them installed.

Extremistno9

Reaction score
79fatcat, thanks for sharing the info and pictures. Looks very nice; the aluminum of the running boards goes well with the roof rack rails. I have an '11 with power running boards and the passenger side currently does not work (Wisconsin winters). I wondered about the "will not work with power running boards" when doing research and that makes sense why they advertise that. If I cannot get the board working, it is nice to know the Westin boards are a possible solution.