Powerful reverse lights or rear fogs, options???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
super bright, plenty of light for backing up. 2 wires, positive and negative. Positive was tapped into the trailer wiring (center pin of the 7 pin connector) and used a self tapping screw into the back of the hitch for ground wire. Lights come on with reverse lamps as normal. So simple a caveman can do it. Mudflaps were already on my truck

Total investment: $30

Harrison Remedios

Reaction score
A company called rigid industries makes a set of led fog lights that come in a flush mount that you could mount on the bumper and splice into the original reverse lights

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You have a trailer hitch? How about hitch mounted backup lights? This is an option I found with a quick search. That also have brackets that you can mount any type of lighting setup you want to it.

Screenshot_2017-03-25-23-05-24.png

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
super bright, plenty of light for backing up. 2 wires, positive and negative. Positive was tapped into the trailer wiring (center pin of the 7 pin connector) and used a self tapping screw into the back of the hitch for ground wire. Lights come on with reverse lamps as normal. So simple a caveman can do it. Mudflaps were already on my truck

Total investment: $30
freaking cool, never thought about putting them on the mud flaps

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
freaking cool, never thought about putting them on the mud flaps

Keeps the light low where you need it most to reduce glare, has an excellent spread of light as well.

Full write-up here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/new-reverse-light-solution-with-pics.30862/

The problem with those hitch mount lights is the bumper cover would have to be trimmed for them to fit, and you won't be able to tow with it as it blocks access to the safety chain mounts.

The in bumper lights are great, but personally i prefer a more subtle look. That and the mudflaps are $40 to replace should I change my mind, the bumper cover.........?

Last edited:

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keeps the light low where you need it most to reduce glare, has an excellent spread of light as well.

Full write-up here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/new-reverse-light-solution-with-pics.30862/

The problem with those hitch mount lights is the bumper cover would have to be trimmed for them to fit, and you won't be able to tow with it as it blocks access to the safety chain mounts.

The in bumper lights are great, but personally i prefer a more subtle look. That and the mudflaps are $40 to replace should I change my mind, the bumper cover.........?

I had a hitch-mounted projector light on my F-150 that worked like a charm. Plugged into the hitch harness plug and lit up when in reverse. My 2017 Expedition hitch plug is angled downward so I cant use that again. That is why I upgraded my reverse lights to a stronger LED. This takes care of the light problem. Everything is internal and nothing can be torn off.

The mud guard-mounted LEDs would not work for me since they would be laying in the sagebrush eventually where I take the truck offroad.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score