Proactively Replace COP (Coils) ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 engine. It has 193k on the odometer. I will be taking it to the local Ford dealer (no comments / bashing please) to replace the spark plugs soon. Given that almost all of the CoPs on my truck are all original equipment (I replaced #5 last year), should I buy the Coils and have the dealer install them while they are in there? I know these things don’t “wear out” (either they work or not), but is 19 years and 193k miles pushing my luck???
Thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't necessarily have a defined life. In my mind, the probability of getting a dud that fails after 10k miles is greater than the ones that have 200k on them failing. If they've lasted this long, chances are they will outlast the engine. It's money wasted, in my opinion.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly no worries. Change when needed. If you are worried buy one keep it on hand and change when needed.

CJ

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don't necessarily have a defined life. In my mind, the probability of getting a dud that fails after 10k miles is greater than the ones that have 200k on them failing. If they've lasted this long, chances are they will outlast the engine. It's money wasted, in my opinion.
Now that makes perfect sense. :)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What we've recommended on the forum, is to replace the boots every 100 k or so, not the coils, and to fix any coolant leaks asap. Coolant leaking onto coil is what fries them. At $80.00 each for a Ford coil, I wouldn't. Very few mechanics seem to r&r spark plugs proper, dealer is your best shot, albeit a little more pricey. Hope that helps. Moose!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What we've recommended on the forum, is to replace the boots every 100 k or so, not the coils, and to fix any coolant leaks asap. Coolant leaking onto coil is what fries them. At $80.00 each for a Ford coil, I wouldn't. Very few mechanics seem to r&r spark plugs proper, dealer is your best shot, albeit a little more pricey. Hope that helps. Moose!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Michael Shepherd

Reaction score
Oh the good old days. Back when we had a 99', I changed the plugs when we reached 120K and that was a pain! Can't recall which plug it was, but I recall one, but in order to get one of the ones at the back of the engine out required a really long extension for the socket wrench, and threading in the new one in without stripping threads required removing the wheel just to get my arm in there. Ah, good times.