Proactively Replace COP (Coils) ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh the good old days. Back when we had a 99', I changed the plugs when we reached 120K and that was a pain! Can't recall which plug it was, but I recall one, but in order to get one of the ones at the back of the engine out required a really long extension for the socket wrench, and threading in the new one in without stripping threads required removing the wheel just to get my arm in there. Ah, good times.

I would replace the coils that are very difficult to get to. I have a 03 Expy 5.4 and the back plugs are buried. It would be worth the price. Also coils can be purchased on line at a lot less than 80 a piece.

Calabrio

Reaction score
I had about 180k on my '98 with the original set. Everything was seemingly fine.
Then, without warning, at least one coil failed. This prompted me to change the set.

If you can afford it, and specifically if you have any intention to keep the vehicle, it only makes sense to have them change the coils. It is a service item, it's due, and you're already paying for the labor when they service the plugs. There's little value in paying for that twice.

I'd also add that despite using Motorcraft plugs, I still received a bad one. Cylinder #7 ended up getting the bad COP.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
193K and 19 years, most would consider replacing entire vehicle. The good for bad argument, technically anything can go. Preventative maintenance, is considered anything, that may leave you stranded on the side of road. ie: hoses, belt etc. Driving with a bad coil will ruin your catalytic converter. I would invest the money in AAA or some road side assistance. I did and found a spare coil at the junk yard. It was like new and was charged only a couple of bucks. That was 4 years ago and still have not needed it.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur with rjhelp, get a spare coil, or 2, keep as a spare. Replace hoses and belts. Maybe it's just me, but installing questionable quality coils, vs fixing water leaks that damage coils, is just bad mechanics. Any of you out here that remember 1 coil for eight cylinders, know they rarely blew out. Reason was that weren't planted next to potential leaking water lines, water and electricity don't mix. As I've stated before, coils can be tested with a volt/ohm meter. As long as you catch a failing coil, or o2 sensor right away, and swap it out, your not going to damage cats. It's lazy or stupid individuals that leave defective parts in for weeks/ months, that cause other damage. Well theirs my lesson for Friday, enjoy your weekend. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As mentioned here, the coils have no defined lifespan. They can go bad when new as they can when old. They are fairly simply to diagnose when they go bad and fairly easy to replace. At $80 each, I think it would be a silly exercise to replace them as preventive exercise. DOn't even THINK of using an $12 aftermarket coil. The old ones you'd be tossing would be far better than any new Chinese ones from ebay.

Just change to plugs and the rubber boots that connect the coil to the plug.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trainmaster, most of the younger generation just dont get the quality thing. They'll spend $1,000 every year the newest IPhone comes out, but won't spend the money for quality replacement parts for their vehicles. They go online, search for the cheapest parts that fit their expeditions, and click buy. It's like when I was first exposed to Snap on tools, back in my twenties, I couldn't believe what a difference a flare wrench fit that they had, or a #2 Philips screwdriver that actually removed the screw. Some people get it, some never will. Classic example is the customer that totally ignored any service to their vehicle, and wondered why their repair bill was so high. On this forum, its like school, if you reach 1 student, you did good!

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I've had my 2000 5.4 EB since new. It's got almost 296,000 on it now. COPs are original and plugs have been changed twice at 100K and 200K. Will change them again at 300K and plan on using the same COPs until they fail. I would spend the money on the Motorcraft COPs if I do need to replace them.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I WOULD use the "cheap" ones of Ebay/Amazon. I bought a set from Amazon, all 8 for $46 shipped. Put in Bosch Iridium plugs, and it is so smooth, runs perfect and have never had a problem with them, got about 20K on them now and perfect. Also had a set in my 97 5.4 with about 80k on them when I sold it and it was great too. The Stealer ones are a rip off, I dont understand why people talk bad about the cheapo's?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John the reason we talk bad about the cheapos is because the majority of them either don't work, or fail prematurely. Could you please post the brand, and part number for our forum members. It's great when we find an aftermarket part that holds up, and so far yours have.