Procharged 24V 5.4 Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wittom

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there are any people here that have Procharged their 24 valve 5.4 Expedition. I know that ATI has a supercharger that is for the '04-'06 F150/Expedition. I don't know how much different the engine bays are from one another. I don't know if there are subtel differences in the installation.

I'm also curious if anyone has had the opportunity to drop the gas tank on an '03-'06 Expedition. I believe the Procharger comes with a boost-a-pump. If I were to do this installation I would think that a high flow fuel pump would be better.

My plan was to keep the Expedition totally stock. It's tough though. The 5.4 feels pretty good around town but could use more oomph when doing manuvers like merging onto the highway. I have had two supercharged F150s. One 4.6 and one 5.4 (factory supercharged). The roots type are great but I think the Expedition would retain it's smoothness with a centrifugal. With the Procharger ATI claims significant gains and from what I know of peoples experiance with Procharging the F150s, it seems like a good system.

I'm not sure that I will ever do this with this vehicle, but I think it would be a huge improvement. It's reletively inexpensive with this particular set up as well.(reletive to other kits out there)

So, what do you think? Do you have expericance that I can learn from? Got an opinion to share?

Thanks.

Last edited:

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got an older 2-valve-per-cylinder 97 Expy with a Procharger.

But I know a lot of guys with the 3V motor that are Procharged.

A full fuel-system upgrade is the best and most reliable, IMHO. You'd basically add 42# injectors, a 255 L/hr in-tank fuel pump (replaces your factory pump), and a MAF (typically from a Lightning), as well as a custom tune (dyno or mail-order). With this setup, your A/F ratios can be controlled very well.

I like the power of the Procharger, top-end power was what my 5.4 lacked. I had traction problems on launch ramps without the blower...and I'm not into roasting my tires.

You can expect about 400 - 425 horsepower to the rear wheels, and a similar amount of torque, with a Procharged 5.4 3V at 9psi.

Last edited:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know about the 05 and newer expeds but the 03 and 04 have a mechanical returnless fuel system that always supplies the injectors with somewhere around 60lbs of pressure with no reference to vacuum or boost. This doess present problems so the best course of action is bigger injectors. I personally run 36lb injectors and had to use injector harness adapters since the 03 and newer trucks use the new style injector connectors.
I have been told that a bigger fuel pump on the 03 is the same as the earlier model mustang pumps. I actually ran mine on E85 which takes 30% more fuel than gasoline and didn't run lean with the stock fuel pump and 6lbs of boost. I now run 9lbs but haven't tried E85 with that amount of boost but it is plenty of fuel pump for gasoline. I run a wideband O2 in the truck permanently so I would know if something was amiss with the fuel system.
Matt

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with pronstar.
I'm running a roots supercharger on my 4.6 tbird and all the parts/tuning stuff he said was right on. Injectors, Lightning MAF, and a tune. Another thing you might think about is a higher stall torque converter. I'm not real familiar with the ones on the trucks but adding mounds of torque may lead you to need a new TC.

allen-superchargers.com has a good kit if you decide to go with a roots set up. It's what I got on my bird.

My wife won't let me install one on her Expedition. ;)

Regarding, centrifugal v. roots...
I'm not an expert, but as I understand, the roots kits will give you a more drivable torque increase, like for a daily driver. Centrifugals have gotten the rep (probably unfairly) for being street/strip blowers. They will really raise the top end torque while the roots put most it's focus on the low to mid rpm's. Roots will flatten out above certain rpm's.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to ask a similar question as the OP, did a search, this OLD thread came up so I will just bring it back from the dead. Being that the 03 has the 4r70w how would that hold up to the additional power?
Also, when buying the complete kit, what is included? Procharger wasn't much help as he didn't even know they had one for the 03

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't have a 3v, but a '97 5.4 2v.
used to pull a 28' Featherlite trailer cross country and after the first trip on stock, decided it needed a bit of "boost."
put on a Vortech V1 back in '99, upgraded to V2SQ with their trade in program later.
kit came with a T-rex in line supplemental fuel pump. changed to a Granatelli maf. stock injectors. aftercooled with a recirc pump to the tank for ice/coolant/water etc.
definitely pepped her up. stock E4OD. put an oversized mag hytec pan on holding 8 extra qts of fluid.

think proline is now under Vortech? give Vortech a call perhaps.
let us know how you go.