Programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liftedford89

Reaction score
What programmer can I use for my 2010 expy?

Also what are the pros and cons if any to having a programmer in a gas vehicle?

guyina4x4

Reaction score
What programmer can I use for my 2010 expy?

Also what are the pros and cons if any to having a programmer in a gas vehicle?

what do you hope to gain?
horsepower? torque?
fuel economy?

I don't think you'll be happy with anything a programmer will do for you.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Unfortunately programmers do not help gas engines as much as they do on diesels. If you're trying to get an MPG increase, a programmer could help but results tend to vary from person to person. Some people say don't waste your money while others say they got a modest 1 - 2 mpg increase.

Where a tuner will help is if you have installed mods to your vehicle. In that case you can use a device such as the SCT X4 and get a custom tune to optimize your modifications. In addition, some tuners will allow you to modify idle settings, shift points, shift pressure, etc...

My personal opinion, if you have the money and aren't expecting miracles, there's nothing wrong with trying out a programmer. It may help MPG's and if you get a programmer that does datalogging, it can be a neat and informative tool. If you are thinking you'll get a guaranteed 2+ MPG and anything less isn't worth it, I would steer clear for now and maybe come back to the idea later.

If you have specific questions I know plenty on this forum have used programmers or even write their own tunes. I've personally used both a superchips flashpaq (1865 I think) and SCT X4 on my vehicle.

OP
OP
Liftedford89

Liftedford89

Reaction score
If it only bumps it up 2MPG then its not worth it to me because those things are pretty expensive.

Thanks for the info!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got more than 2 mpgs from my tuner and it paid for itself in a month...I use and keep mine on gas saver to get the most mpgs and really pays on long trips to Florida and Michigan

Mr. 10K

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the iTSX wireless from 5 Star Tuning with 3 custom tunes. The tune has shown a moderate increase in MPG, but I tend to drive a little heavy footed. I think the tunes are worth the $$. I will strongly advise against the iTSX platform; it is abhorrently slow! The SCT4 is the programmer to get, at least in my humble opinion.

I am not new to tuning (ran a 2004 Subaru Forester XT for several years at 355whp/355wtq) and am familiar with the ins and outs of tuning. From my personal experience, I would go with the standalone handheld like the SCT4 with a couple custom tunes. It is economical enough to be affordable. You can go all out and do custom tunes yourself with a laptop, but for the average person who doesn't do that level of tuning every day; its probably not worth the time and effort.

Just my $0.02

River

Reaction score
I got more than 2 mpgs from my tuner and it paid for itself in a month...I use and keep mine on gas saver to get the most mpgs and really pays on long trips to Florida and Michigan

Mr. 10K
which one are you using?