Quick question regarding 1st Gen expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I think I got my hands on one of the last new old stock 2.5" Daystar kits as even Daystar doesn't mention they made one.

Little background I spent several years doing custom truck accessories, lots of leveling kits and lifts do not new to the space at all.

Opened the box and no instructions, none available online as said kit doesn't seem to exist anymore, no instructions online for their 1 and 1-3/4" kits.

Anything special about doing a coil spacer on these rigs? As far as I can tell the rear end is similar to a newer 1500 ram. So this is the game plan.

Lift up truck as high as I can, jack stands on frame.
Remove tires and disconnect shocks/sway bar.
Disconnect any abs/brake lines that will be to short.
Mark coils for replacement
Lower axle till coils can be removed
Put spacer on top of coil, reinstall with pry bar as motivator
Then put it all back together.

Then do front end/align.

Did I miss anything?

Toby

Reaction score
Id like to see some feedback on this topic myself because Ive got a 97 with air shocks that are shot. Ive got a Monroe air to coil conversion kit to install and want to stick in a 3" coil spacer when I do it. Totally new to this and not sure what Im doing!! Hahaha. Need shock mount extensions or anything?? Dont worry bout offending me.....talk to me like Im clueless cause I am. Cheers!

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most shocks can handle 1-2.5" level without problems unless you flex them pretty heavily. Not sure how 3" will fair.

The Monroe variable load shocks are on my wish list. Only shock extenders I've seen are on Tundra's and Chevy's. Rest of us just get longer shocks, not much love for the expedition though.

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well did it last night, **** that sucked. I've done a mess of these and that has to be the worst I've done. Don't get me wrong I could do it in like half the time given the chance to do it again.

2.5" was shit, would not envy you doing 3" without a hoist, torch and air. I did it on the floor in a barn. Any questions let me know.

ShillyDilly

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to level/lift my truck in the next month. 3 in the front with keys and 2 in rear with aluminum spacers. Planning on getting 33's but do you think I'd be able to go up to a 35? I just got these back from powder coating and that's what the 33/35's are gonna be mounted on. 18x9.5 Lightning wheels

PicsArt_11-18-11.48.35.jpg

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everywhere I've read on here people say a 33 with just a level, and you need 4" lift or level and body lift to clear 35's.

I don't see why it couldn't clear a smaller 35, like a 315/75/16 or 315/70/17. Nothing really in there too rub, and trimming doesn't scare me.

Sadly wife got laid off so no tires for a while.

Will get some shocks that don't hit the full extension going over speed bumps though, and swap in some stiffer torsion bars. Damned Eddie Bauer and it's soft comfortable bars you can't really lift.

ShillyDilly

Reaction score
Dang, I didn't know the torsion bars were different on mine vs the XLT package. Makes sense I guess cuz I believe an XLT sits just a tad taller than my truck. I found some 33x11.5's for around $650 so I think I'm just gonna go with those considering that's almost an entire paycheck. My current tires won't make it through winter either so settling on a smaller size doesn't really bother me. Thanks for the info ☺️

OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
which torsion bars are you going to swap in?

Just a set of XLT's I have of the parts truck. It's pristine except for the destroyed engine.

Want some 54" Chevy torsion bars out of a 3/4-1 ton diesel. But those trucks are stupid rare in western Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, mobile won't multi quote.

Dang, I didn't know the torsion bars were different on mine vs the XLT package. Makes sense I guess cuz I believe an XLT sits just a tad taller than my truck. I found some 33x11.5's for around $650 so I think I'm just gonna go with those considering that's almost an entire paycheck. My current tires won't make it through winter either so settling on a smaller size doesn't really bother me. Thanks for the info ☺️

Yeah, they are a softer spring rate for "comfort", kinda a PITA twenty years later.

Nothing wrong with working within a budget. I see a mess of 35's for sale, but I can't beat the 75% tread 235/85/16's with a snowflake for free that I currently have. Be stupid to pay to replace them with something that has less tread (cause I'm cheap) with winter getting here.