Quick Sudden stop, brake pedal seems to slowly return and brakes continue to grab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terr5178

Reaction score
If I have to make a sudden stop on my 2003 expedition 5.4 162k, the pedal grabs like normal, the front dives but as I let go of the pedal it slowly returns and brakes slowly release. Other than that the brakes work perfect. The brakes still grab hard when emergency stopping but seem to keep grabbing for a few seconds after I've let go of the pedal.
Any thoughts

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
No, New calipers both sides.. continued braking after the peddle was released was an issue long before I replaced the calipers. The truck stops as well as expected but it's just strange to fell it continue to stop after the brake was released..

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, New calipers both sides.. continued braking after the peddle was released was an issue long before I replaced the calipers. The truck stops as well as expected but it's just strange to fell it continue to stop after the brake was released..

Are you sure the caliper slides and slide bolts are properly lubricated (front and rear)? You also may have one or more rubber brake line hoses that are collapsing inside and restricting the fluid return when you let off the brake pedal. Are there any metal clamps holding the rubber hoses in place? If so, that is a common location for the internal collapse.

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.. Other than replacing all hoses, is there any way to tell which hose is the problem. I know the hoses are relatively cheap but Murphy's law will always make a bolt crack in the caliper or a union nut snap a rigid line.. causing me to loose my mind..

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.. Other than replacing all hoses, is there any way to tell which hose is the problem. I know the hoses are relatively cheap but Murphy's law will always make a bolt crack in the caliper or a union nut snap a rigid line.. causing me to loose my mind..

I'm not aware of any easy method to determine if a hose is collapsing on the inside - other than to examine each hose and see if there is any swelling or abnormal areas. I have seen metal clamps from the factory (which are designed to hold a rubber line in place) rust and deform, causing damage to the rubber hose.

Your concern about something going wrong is well founded. Good luck.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the truck on a lift and see if the wheels spin freely. Otherwise, it could be a master cylinder problem.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The continued braking after releasing the pedal is a classic collapsed/collapsing brake hose symptom. The master has plenty of pressure to force the fluid through the bad hoses to the caliper and force it to clamp, but the "vacuum" that is supposed to draw the fluid back out of the caliper is 1/100th that pressure. I would honestly start hosing down the fittings with some PB blaster or other penetrating oil.

If it is the master, it would be showing more symptoms. If it was the ABS module, it would be making ABS noises. Cycling the ABS when flushing the brake system is essential in ensuring good fluid is in the entire system.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually an abs module failure can give a random clicking noises but other failures in the system may not. One sure sign of abs failure is the ability to lock any of the wheels during hard braking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni