Quick Sudden stop, brake pedal seems to slowly return and brakes continue to grab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waldo

Reaction score
Most probably you just experienced "Ford emergency brake assist"

Basically under hard stopping the pedal bottoms out but the truck continues to brake. The pedal remains soft for a bit, very strange feeling the first time it happens to you.

brad03

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying this everyone. Does anyone know a good source for braided brake lines for the second gen? Thanks

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
WAldo and boose, are you guys serious? I've never heard of this but sound possible considering cars park and drive themselves these days.

waldo

Reaction score
Right out of that article:

"The new Expedition has the largest brakes in its class, and along with an antilock feature they incorporate a brake assist feature, which helps to reduce stopping distances by applying the brakes at full force in panic stops. (Testing has found that drivers tend to hesitate when they ought to slam the brake pedal and hold it.) I found the brakes effective, smooth and confidence-inspiring."

OP
OP
T

terr5178

Reaction score
I found out about this with a 2 and 5 year old in the back seat at 60 mph as we crested a hill to see brake lights and stopped traffic. I slammed the brakes hard then was able to move out of the lane where I could slow down normally. But I wasn't expecting the weird feeling in the pedal. I assumed something was wrong but couldn't find any bad hoses or lines.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I stumbled on this accidentally as well after I had my 05 for about a year. Had to slam on the brakes coming around a blind curve/on ramp. Scared the crap out of me as it made no mechanical sense. Then, low and behold; there it is in the owners manual :)

PHIL CLACK

Reaction score
I almost died (via heart attack) the first time this happened, lol.
Always bring an extra pair of clean drawers.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk