Rain Sensing Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can not, for the life of me, figure out the rain sensing wipers on my ‘18. I have the “rain sensing” box checked in the settings menu on the dash, and I have the stalk on the left turned all the way into AUTO (but not too far)...and I’ve got nothing. I was driving through a blinding rain today and nothing! I had to pull over and switch it out of “rain sensing” onto manual.

Anyone have any idea what I’m doing wrong? Or maybe this is my bug and a dealer repair is in order.

Thanks!!

NNic

Reaction score
I couldn't figure them out either. Switched mine to manual and left them there

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well look at you now Mr. reading the manual! LOL and JK ;-)

The rain sensing has always been hit or miss on these vehicles. It can be misting and spot on with when it needs to wipe one day and week later, it can be misting and haze over completely and the wipers don’t show up for work. Never had it where I had to disable the feature though.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have mines on the lowest wiper setting and they work very well for me, better than my old navs rsw system. I think the sensor for it is near the back of the rearview mirror so any thing near it will partially affect the system. Usually when i start the vehicle and the windshields already wet, i may clear it by turning the switch higher, but as long as it senses droplets hitting the shield, itll clear on its own and adjust accordingly

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will admit, when you pointed me to the manual my initial response was “well of COURSE I’ve read the manual...I’ve read the damn thing cover to cover twice”. But, I went back and read that section again...

I assumed the sensor was inside the housing attached to the rear view mirror and was flush with the glass. And I therefore assumed my tolltag would not affect it. But the manual clearly says: “The feature uses a rain sensor that is in the area around the interior mirror.” So I bet you I put my tolltag right smack dab in front of the sensor.

I’ll move the tag to the other side and see what happens.

zarga

Reaction score
I will admit, when you pointed me to the manual my initial response was “well of COURSE I’ve read the manual...I’ve read the damn thing cover to cover twice”. But, I went back and read that section again...

I assumed the sensor was inside the housing attached to the rear view mirror and was flush with the glass. And I therefore assumed my tolltag would not affect it. But the manual clearly says: “The feature uses a rain sensor that is in the area around the interior mirror.” So I bet you I put my tolltag right smack dab in front of the sensor.

Will be interested to hear if that fixes it. Just to be safe from all this camera/tech stuff, I put my toll sensor down a bit from my mirror so that from the front it looks like it is in the middle of my windshield. My wipers work though, so maybe it's ok.

TxBrian

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I'm curious to hear what you find.
I noticed yesterday mine weren't kicking on and I wonder if the toll tag is blocking it.

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what you find.
I noticed yesterday mine weren't kicking on and I wonder if the toll tag is blocking it.
Still nothing. I moved the tolltag but my rain sensing wipers are still convinced it ain’t raining. I ultimately think that will warrant a trip to the Ford house.