Raising a 2014 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I tried hammering them out, but didn't have any luck.
Only other way I to loosen the huge bolt holding the actual lower control arm on and hope it drops down enough for you to be able to apply downward pressure and pop them back in. Extra set of hands pushing down while you set the assembly back in would really help out

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only other way I to loosen the huge bolt holding the actual lower control arm on and hope it drops down enough for you to be able to apply downward pressure and pop them back in. Extra set of hands pushing down while you set the assembly back in would really help out

Upper control arm out of knuckle makes the LCA swing down

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Upper control arm out of knuckle makes the LCA swing down
Is your Ex even lifted? Anyways @oldpaddy you will need to either punch those bolts out or loosen the LCA bolt to be able to push it down far enough to slide it in if you can’t get the bolts out. Taking UCA off the knuckle will not allow a low enough drop.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm heading to my wife's shop in a little while and one of the guys is going to take a look. I have a feeling she's going to have him put in the spacers. Or at least check my screw ups. A friend said the clunking might be from the old shock. I hope he's right. I thought the same thing at first, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your Ex even lifted? Anyways @oldpaddy you will need to either punch those bolts out or loosen the LCA bolt to be able to push it down far enough to slide it in if you can’t get the bolts out. Taking UCA off the knuckle will not allow a low enough drop.

Had Daystars (spacers), now have Ranchos (longer shock/spring set)

Further had to remove ranchos again to install new UCAs

So yeah, been there done that

Btw it's NOT just the UCA, every other bolt has to be loosened (LCA frame, LCA hub, tie rid hub afair) for some wiggle and the sway links removed to free it... THEN you can drop the LCA/knuckle/hub down plenty far enough

The trick to supensions is they have REDUNDANCY. You must loosen 2-3-4 places to get enough slack to have free movement in any one component

Last edited:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Had Daystars (spacers), now have Ranchos (longer shock/spring set)

Further had to remove ranchos again to install new UCAs

So yeah, been there done that

Btw it's NOT just the UCA, every other bolt has to be loosened (LCA frame, LCA hub, tie rid hub afair) for some wiggle and the sway links removed to free it... THEN you can drop the LCA/knuckle/hub down plenty far enough

The trick to supensions is they have REDUNDANCY. You must loosen 2-3-4 places to get enough slack to have free movement in any one component
Obviously he’s already done that if the assembly is out and he’s trying to put it back in...? I wasn’t going to be REDUNDANT and tell him the exact instructions that he had obviously already followed to remove the stock assembly. What the instructions don’t show you @Adieu is the updated steps needed to take to remove the two bolts in questions before reinstalling. You either need to remove them or loosen the LCA bolt to let that have more downward movement.

Did you think he magically removed the shock and spring with the knuckle still attached? I’m sure he loosened everything the instructions called for to get the assembly out. Being that it's newer, instructions have not been updated showing the newer shock mounts.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Plus @Adieu you drive a 2009. Suspension components are different in an ex that is 5 years newer

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Obviously he’s already done that if the assembly is out and he’s trying to put it back in...? I wasn’t going to be REDUNDANT and tell him the exact instructions that he had obviously already followed to remove the stock assembly. What the instructions don’t show you @Adieu is the updated steps needed to take to remove the two bolts in questions before reinstalling. You either need to remove them or loosen the LCA bolt to let that have more downward movement.

Did you think he magically removed the shock and spring with the knuckle still attached? I’m sure he loosened everything the instructions called for to get the assembly out. Being that it's newer, instructions have not been updated showing the newer shock mounts.

He's adding a spacer and it no longer fits back thru.

Like, duh.

Doesn't matter 07-13 or 14+, there's MANY inches of slack to work with once the hub is off the UCA... couple of inches for bolts, couple of inches to clear spacer? EASY

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
He's adding a spacer and it no longer fits back thru.

Like, duh.

Doesn't matter 07-13 or 14+, there's MANY inches of slack to work with once the hub is off the UCA... couple of inches for bolts, couple of inches to clear spacer? EASY
I f***ing know that bro. With everything loose like the instructions from READYLIFT state, there is still not enough room. The UCA is left just hanging there not attached to anything so removing it isnt gonna do shit look here: see how it’s just hanging there?D2B12849-9238-4AB0-8E8A-91E890338B15.jpeg With that hanging there is still NOT ENOUGH ROOM to fit the assembly back in with the spacer due to 2.5-3” of bolts that have to make it back through the LCA. So until you deal with putting one of these in on a truck with different suspension components than yours, do me and @oldpaddy a favor and keep your incorrect instructions to yourself

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
You can take the sway bar end links off, remove the spindle, loosen and remove the ball joints and still be off by 2”. I literally just did this lift on my truck 6 months ago so I would know. I ran into the same exact problem he is and Readylift said either loosen the LCA bolts and apply downward pressure or hammer out the bolts. Both work as I did one option on each side.

No where in the instructions does it say to mess with the UCA bc it just hangs there unattached to anything and you still get clearance problems until you loosen the LCA bolts