Random grinding (metal to metal)in front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLC1

Reaction score
When you are driving down the road in our 2009 Ford Expedition just at random a grinding (metal to metal) noise starts and then stops. We have checked the brakes, bearings, and everything else we know to check. We can not find anything wrong. We took it to a mechanic he said it was the fluid in the transfer case that was causing it. He has changed the fluid twice. The noise is still happening at random. Any ideas on what it is?

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you are driving down the road in our 2009 Ford Expedition just at random a grinding (metal to metal) noise starts and then stops. We have checked the brakes, bearings, and everything else we know to check. We can not find anything wrong. We took it to a mechanic he said it was the fluid in the transfer case that was causing it. He has changed the fluid twice. The noise is still happening at random. Any ideas on what it is?

If you have 4x4 , this may be helpful

https://www.f150online.com/forums/a...u-wanted-know-about-iwe-system-then-some.html

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had sort of a grinding and it for me..it was the vacuum line where it enters the back of the hub... it was broke and not completely disengaging the h4x4 hub from the wheel... it was close to the wheel so trim the hose and reinstall..was a simple fix... does it make this sound (watch vid)???

I follow this guy on YouTube and it's been a lifesaver...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a grinding sound in my 05 that I primarily heard when I was slowing down. It would change in pitch and kind of warble a little. It turned out it was the rear bearings and the bearings in the transfer case. I know you said your rear bearings were okay but it could be the axle bearings that enter the transfer case. Just a thought.