Really struggling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to make the decision OP. I chose to buy now for the reasons most have already stated:

First and foremost: Great truck to drive. Smooth and ample power and transmission, quiet and comfortable, great steering and turning radius, just enough tech for my needs, etc.

The 2017 is the end of very long platform run and bugs are as worked out as they will ever be, parts are abundant, design well mapped, etc. That includes the current EB 3.5 engine, the 6spd trans, etc.

I agree the truck looks a bit dated, but I like what Ford did with the 2015 refresh and think the truck looks classic and will age well from a style point of view. I like boxy trucks like mid 70's K5 Blazers, mid-80's full size Broncos, etc. This Expedition has those elements that scream TRUCK. The new 2018 model, not so much... To each their own.

As others have already said, I will NEVER buy a first model year or anything. I wait three full years for a track record to develop. The biggest problem I have to watch for in the 2017 is bubbling paint on the aluminum hood and rear lift gate and carbon build up from the EB direct injectors.

Finally: price. I was able to get out the door for a great price. If could have waited a bit longer, I would have - but needed to replace a wrecked vehicle. The cost savings later this year should be amazing.
I couldn't have said it any better. :D One thing that I learned if if you can buy from a dealer in a major city you will get better pricing, that is probably the only thing I would have done different.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
I ended up buying a Tahoe Premier. I know not an expy.. But after looking at and driving the 2017 expy, it wasn't close on the interior to the chevy. I wanted ford because i still believe its a more reliable truck but it didn't happen that way. I could have bought a limited edition for $50k OTD instead of 10k more for the Tahoe, But the interior was really a turn off. It was very truck like, lots of hard plastic. The tahoe felt like a sports car compared. The exterior is also dated and you guys have a point, first year would be taking a risk. Even the sales guy said the 10 speed is a work in progress at this point. Said they been doing lots of testing with it in the 2017 F150 and there have been some minor things. What i did like was the Eco motor. It was quiet, you could tell it had torque. The expy i drove had 7 miles on it, and the steering wheel leather was delaminating already and there was some kind of heat sheild in the motor area that was vibrating at idle. All could be fixed but you think they would have done that before showing me the vehicle.

To be honest i am not sure you can go wrong either way. But if you want an expy the pricing is so good right now.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fair enough and thanks for taking the time to come back and post why & how you made your decision. There is no "right or wrong" because it's YOUR MONEY and no one here is going to be paying for your truck<LOL>!

I think you'll be fine & the interior of the Tahoe Pri is a LOT nicer. I looked at them too....in the 2015's & 16's(I think), they used a different designator for the higher trim levels...the Z & ZRX(?) but switched to the Premier for the '17 models.

The nice thing about them is how the engine is carried in the engine bay....plenty of room to get to things which is a very nice feature of course I hope it's one feature that you won't need for a long, long time!

Who knows, maybe one of us will see you out on the road...remember, just don't try to race one of us!!

jeff

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
And i figure, if the Tahoe is junk, i can always trade in the warranty period for a new 2019 Expy after any bugs are worked out. One thing i noticed was the Chevy for whatever reason has a much higher residual value.

No more LTZ, its the LT and the premier.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And i figure, if the Tahoe is junk, i can always trade in the warranty period for a new 2019 Expy after any bugs are worked out. One thing i noticed was the Chevy for whatever reason has a much higher residual value.

No more LTZ, its the LT and the premier.
The last two Chevys we owned were an 89 Astro Van and a 90 Corsica. After that I swore off Chevys and after the government bailout I swore off GM. The 90 Corsica was the last GM car that we bought.

I bought my first Ford in 2013. Since then I've bought 5 more 1 new and the rest used. We are looking for an AWD Edge for my wife right now.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
i swore off GM too back in the 90's and was really against the bailout myself. I just wish the expy would have competed better with the product thou. There is such a difference between the two vehicles. It was worth 10k IMO. They are kind of night and day at least to me. I started out with the best of intentions to get an expy, i tried to love it. I really did. Its a good truck but thats what it is, a truck and not an SUV necessary.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DW has a '13 King Ranch, $60k MSRP, I have a '14 GMC Yukon XL Denali, over $70k MSRP. Shudda got another Expedition! I don't see the updated design as being worth another ten grand or so and the possibility of new model Gremlins. Of course, I'm not participating in your monthly payments, so my opinion isn't worth spit! Lol

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 1ST Gen Expeditions, were the best sellers, of all models. Every model change, has sold less and less. The styling has been boring. Ford lowered the 2nd Gen, for women. They put a "6" in the 3rd Gen. The 2018, is a bigger version, Explorer. Ford should stick to what made the Expedition, popular in the first place.

songshan311

Reaction score
That comment alone is enough reason as to why the 2017 is a better choice than the 2018
I bought the 2013 fusion hybrid when it was just available at dealer's lot. It is great and only two recalls applicable to my car so far, and no issue at all.
I think the manufacturers are more careful when they release the new models due to the competitive market.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry you had to jump ship i can completely understand. No matter hoe nice the 17s are, you gotta get over the age of the look first. If for some reason the 18s dnt do it for me, i myself maybe looking for either an armada or a gls