Really struggling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uberdog

Reaction score
Tahoe exterior styling and interior quality are fantastic IMO. Reliability issues and lack of power in the 5.3 kept me away. The number of known issues with the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade trucks are hard to ignore. But... If the upcoming 2018 Tahoe RST with the 6.2 was available this past winter, I may have rolled the dice anyway.

The Expedition just hit me in all the right spots at the right moment I needed a new full size SUV. I actually like the hard plastic, truck-like interior cause I have kids and dogs who are going to trash any "soft touch" surfaces in no time flat. Saving $10k plus the EB 3.5 power was a no brainer.

The shared Ford/GM 10 spd trans that will be in both Tahoe and Expy in 2018 will be interesting to watch and see how it develops.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
it was also the MPG think. i know the eco is pretty good, but general hwy is 20. I get 19 with my sequioa. With the tahoe i have clocked 24.6 so far. We drive up north every weekend just about to our cabin. if i do the math, this is a good savings in gas.

i think ford can do way better on mpg. But so far they are behind a little bit. If the DI 5.3 can get 24.6, why can't the eco?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres a few ppl who are able to get that out of their expy ebs, its jus alottappl avg 80+ on the hwy which probably kills the mileage. Im sure the 18s will be able to hit 25+ with cruise at 75. I wish ford would offer the 2.7l v6 as well for ppl who dnt need 400hp

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it was also the MPG think. i know the eco is pretty good, but general hwy is 20. I get 19 with my sequioa. With the tahoe i have clocked 24.6 so far. We drive up north every weekend just about to our cabin. if i do the math, this is a good savings in gas.

i think ford can do way better on mpg. But so far they are behind a little bit. If the DI 5.3 can get 24.6, why can't the eco?

i kind of doubt 24 anything at the speeds we texans drive. 75 plus is the norm, with a/c on full freeze. Still i pull in 17.3-.7 at 75 plus with a 3.73 rear gear 4wd extended expy.
now if i drive below 60, it will jump right up to 20.
but suffering through the years of 55 mph max speed ....i simply refuse to drive 4 hrs when i can do it 2.5. now.
i keep up with the flow, and it seems lately 80 is the new flow, except in austin on 35 so we take the new toll road and zoom zoom
so 17 plus at 75-80 is awesome in my book, pulling a 6400lb brick like suv

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
20 is great on any SUV, but with the tahoe in the city, i am getting 20. Highway yesterday at 77 mph i got 23.4. Not to shabby.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to Ford:

Expedition 4x4: 15 city/ 20 hwy/ 17 combined mpg

According to Chevy:
City (MPG)
16 MPG
Highway (MPG)
23 MPG

Considering that the Chevy engine makes 10 less HP & 37 FtLBs less torque, it would only make sense that it "should" get better mileage.

I have the 3 mileage options that keep a running total...one of them I set when I was less than five miles from the dealer driving home the day I bought it. I have never reset it and as of 15,400 miles, I'm getting 17.6mpg since new....40+ miles each way to work, mix of highway and city with maybe 28-30 redlights each way. I don't pay for my gas since it's part of my compensation package so I have no reason to fudge the numbers. It is what it is....and I'm happy.

No one can really can't state that you are getting X miles per gallon in the city or highway unless you use multiple tanks in the city or on the highway.....driving 50 miles to get to a city then driving 11 miles through doesn't really qualify as "city driving" but I have seen people do exactly that, then claim as they are coming out of the city that they are getting X mileage<LOL>!!

jeff

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chevys do get better gas mileage but the v8 to v4 gimmick is being used less and less across the industry, must be an issue with the feature. I heard that the gm issues have long term issues due to that feature. At any rate 20+ from an engine rated over 350+ hp is pretty darn good, considering its hauling 6k lbs. The ecoboost engines however never really reached theur fuel consumption goals consistently. The only thing im not looking forward to in regards to the 18 expy are the smaller fuel tanks(25 for swb, 30 for lwb), that with a more powerful engine and minimal weight savings countered by 10sp equals no changes in fuel econ and shorter driving range overall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
i am not seeing 20 in the city with my new tahoe. i am seeing 18.3 approx if i drive easy. Again the mileage on the hwy is impressive. i have seen up to 24 mpg. Like i said before, if this truck turns out to be a POS, trade it for the new ford expy or toyota (if they ever upgrade the sequioa). I have seen much higher residual value on the chevy over the ford.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday we drove 520 miles to Pennsylvania and we averaged 18.2 MPG at 77-78 MPH for 8 hours with about an hour and a half of that at 65 MPH. I reset the fuel mileage when we filled up and have just let it do it's thing from there. Last night when I looked at it we were down to 17.4 with all of the local driving we have been doing here.