Really struggling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderjet

Reaction score
We been planning on buying a big SUV for some time and getting rid of our Tundra. First choice for a long time was a Tahoe/Yukon but read to many horror stories about the noisy "buffeting" issues so started looking around at other brands. Also didnt like the idea you had to buy an optional HD trailer towing option to equip it properly.
We both liked the looks of the Expedition but then seen some photos of the 2018. It looks like someone mated a minnie van with a station wagon. Just totally ugly. Stopped in at the local dealer and they offered almost $9,000 off the MSRP (includes our military discount) and way more than I ever expected to get for our trade. Countered a few times and they went up another $1,500 on our trade and we sealed the deal.

I also did not want a 8 or 10 speed auto which is soon to follow. I'll stick with 6 and avoid all the shifting going up and down hills and towing our boat.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We been planning on buying a big SUV for some time and getting rid of our Tundra. First choice for a long time was a Tahoe/Yukon but read to many horror stories about the noisy "buffeting" issues so started looking around at other brands. Also didnt like the idea you had to buy an optional HD trailer towing option to equip it properly.
We both liked the looks of the Expedition but then seen some photos of the 2018. It looks like someone mated a minnie van with a station wagon. Just totally ugly. Stopped in at the local dealer and they offered almost $9,000 off the MSRP (includes our military discount) and way more than I ever expected to get for our trade. Countered a few times and they went up another $1,500 on our trade and we sealed the deal.

I also did not want a 8 or 10 speed auto which is soon to follow. I'll stick with 6 and avoid all the shifting going up and down hills and towing our boat.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. We love our 17, it was a good decision. We got $10,000 off the sticker before tax including our trade in. I know we could have done better if we had gone down to Indy to one of the dealers there but that would have been a 2 hr drive and then we would have to go down there for any warranty work so we stayed local.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats as well, i kno your enjoyin your new truck very much.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to wait for the for the '18 to get the new tech, engine, and 10 speed. I figured, if they put it in the F150, they wouldn't be using that as a test mule, and it should be fairly solid. Also, Consumer Reports recently said in their reviews, 1st year vehicles are no longer suffering from more issues than long in the tooth new vehicles. That all being said, I bought the '17 since the 13k below sticker was too hard to pass up. Now, having seen the price increases for the '18, and since I don't like the Explorer-Flex love child look, I am even happier with the '17. Nothing's perfect and I hate the cheap plastic, but I have 2 young kids and a dog. Whatever I buy will be trashed. (Hell, I already had an argument with the wife about letting the kids (and her!) eat in the Expy....)

Your time and your money. Make yourself happy and buy what you like (and can afford). There are tons of happy Expy owners here thru all of the generations.

Now, if anybody bought the first model year of the 2nd or 3rd gen Expy new wants to jump in here.....

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations Cullinan! I owned a '99 expy that I bought with a signing bonus and that thing just ran and ran....never any issues other than 4-6 alternators but after buying the 1st one at Autozone, I would just take back the old and get a new for free! I finally took it off the road when the rear rusted out from towing my boat ....I never even thought to hose it down...and that was at 228 THOUSAND miles or something like that.

ugh.....kids & dogs...no point worrying about it since you can't win....price of Fatherhood. Thankfully mine are all grown now but I never got twisted over a car/truck....it's just a machine no matter how badly you want to keep it nice and Fatherhood is the best job in the world...in other words, it's a fair trade!
jeff

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that the interior of the Tahoe is much nicer. But I tow a boat, and the EcoBoost is just too good.
brick

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its nicer but only in the sense of the driver lol...poor second and third row riders