rear cargo power outlet problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

Reaction score
2005 Expedition XLT, 2WD.

Trying to trouble shoot why the power outlet in the rear cargo area doesn't work. Other outlets work. All power outlet and cigarette lighter fuses are good.

It's NOT vital that I get this part up and running, but it would be nice for powering a light or something when needed. Where would you guys go next in troubleshooting this? The plug itself?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 3 fuses for all the power points and lighter #41 #39 and #37 41 and 39 are fore most of the power ports and light
# 37 is just for the rear power port there is also a connector, splice and a ground connection that could be part of the problem or a open circuit Check the fuse first.

You say fuses are good How did you check them??

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
I pulled all three of the power port/cig lighter fuses (37, 39, 41) and replaced them with new ones.

Can you spot or share a wiring diagram showing the location of the rear cargo splice and ground? it could certainly be a loss connection there.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuse is hot at all times The circuit leaves the fuse box and goes to a connector that is above the rear wheel well
You will have to pull the panel back to get to it And if you do that I would first check for voltage at the power port connector.

You will be looking for the orange wire that is the hot wire.
The splice I refer to is in the ground wire for the circuit.

When you check for voltage connect to the orange wire and to a good known ground such as the battery neg terminal

I'll see about prints

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
thanks for the diagrams - may try to get into this today if time permits. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you certain the inside of the outlet is making contact with whatever you plug into it? I only bring that up because the one in the 3rd gens is a complete POS and I routinely have to dismantle the plug and reset the contacts. I keep meaning to replace it with a better one, but it's not really a priority.

OP
OP
T

TonyM

Reaction score
i suppose it's possible that it's not making contact. I've tried 3 different devices - none work. I'll look into it though. I haven't have time to take all the plastic out to look at the splice and ground but a cursory look through the top after pulling the "tray" out and there's nothing obviously amiss, but the view is limited until I can really take the thing apart. So much plastic to carefully remove, so little time