Rear coils to replace air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordhearter

Reaction score
Hello, I had a question about replacing the rear air bags with coils on my 99 Expedition. I was looking at the Moog 80841 Progressive springs and found some reviews online saying they made the truck sit lower then stock springs and some others saying they worked fine. From what I have been reading they should be an upgrade to the stock coils. Anyone ever install these ones and can post some reviews and pictures? The plan is to do rear coils with a spacer and replace front torsion bars with the xlt ones so I can crank up he front of the truck. I also plan on towing either a pop up or small hard wall camper come spring so don't want the rear squatting a lot. Any other springs you guys recommend?

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey don't worry about swapping torsion bars, I have the Eddie Bauer as well. And I was limited drastically by my ability to lift the front end, it was the OEM shocks, when replaced with a longer shock the front end shot up.

Basically the OEM shocks fully extended is 13", with economy Gabriel shocks my shocks rested at 13" and still had down travel.

As for coil's if you have a wrecker nearby just grab OEM coils and save a buck. Or grab SD front coils from about a 2007 and they will net approx 2.5" lift over stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
So are the torsion bars on the Eddie Bauer the same as Xlt just not cranked up as much? Cause if that’s the case I will just get a rancho 9000 lift shock for the front end and crank the bar. Also I know the super duty trucks have different spring rates on the front so is there a specific spring to look for. Gas vs Diesel?

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They may have a different spring rate, but I genuinely believe the big thing about "how they are soft and won't lift" is simply the shocks being to short.

IMG_20170516_202941.jpg

Here it was stock tires with proper length shocks with the keys cranked (I lowered it a bit after) and a rear 2.5" spacer. Damn high even on EB torsion bars. They were 32's, and I cleared 35 12.5 R17's at that height.

Go Rancho, or hell hit up rock auto and grab some Gabriel shocks for like $18 each (not sure current price).

As for the coils, I would figure if you never tow or haul go gas, but if you do? Go Diesel.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So are the torsion bars on the Eddie Bauer the same as Xlt just not cranked up as much? Cause if that’s the case I will just get a rancho 9000 lift shock for the front end and crank the bar. Also I know the super duty trucks have different spring rates on the front so is there a specific spring to look for. Gas vs Diesel?

They have different lb weight springs due to motors heavier. I had a f250 5.4 supercab lwb got 5k springs for snow plow on my fronts. Got a 1.5” lift no longer a front rake but leveled it out with the back.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since late summer.

How she sat with just torsion keys cranked and rear spacer, before body lift and 37's.

IMG_20170923_073439.jpg IMG_20170923_073515.jpg IMG_20170923_073454.jpg IMG_20170923_073506.jpg

ogre20012001

Reaction score
The difference in torsion bars is air springs in front or no air springs.
Has nothing to do with trim level.

Four corner air leveling had softer torsion bars to allow the air springs to take some of the weight and to also provide a lower stance in 2wd and taller in 4x4 low.

Rear air level or no air level had stiffer torsion bars in the front, because they took all the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk