Rear differential swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for my 16 the el's come with 3.73 LS, LS 3.73 is option for 2wd EL. that saying, you should be able to swap out internals and make the change.
wish they had put the electronic locking axle like i had in my 13 f150.

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reading more on lunchbox lockers. The spartan sounds not too difficult of an install.

Most said 1-2hrs as fir preload clearances the instructions say it should be between x-y which seemed not too bad. The checking for clearances seemed like it's for excess wear or sizes being off and in all the videos I watched they were all in spec and they didn't shim anything just checked to verify. Some being in some old crusty rear ends...

A few guys said if you can do brakes you can do the spartan locker.

Here's one for an ExploDer since they're similar I figured it'd do.

Might be a while but I'm hoping to do this maybe with a buddy. Got my spacers I need to do first. But LS seems like it won't do the kind of stuff I'll attempt to put this ride through. Not sure why I even tried to convince myself to lol specially on a 2wd

Also anyone know if front 2wd 150 stuff will swap to 2wd expy? Looked it up and seems like the spindle and knuckle are the same. So if someone did a sas they could possibly let use lift spindles or even 4wd if the lifts do fit could go pretty big?

krazytedk

Reaction score
Swapping the carrier is the very difficult. This involves dissasembling the entire rear differential (removing axles stubs, removing cover, removing the carrier, removing the bearing mounts, removing pinion gear and assembley) then applying the differential of your choice and gears of your choice (locker, limited slip, etc.) replacing the pinion bearings and seal then setting pinion preload, setting up the gears with appropriate gear lash. Can literally take 12 hours to set pinion preload and the lash on the gears, especially for inexperienced. Its all trial and error.

Or, you could swap out the entire rear end. Pull the axles, disconnect driveshaft, undo the 4 retention bolts and drop the old rear end out. Replacement is basically the reverse.

I have done it both ways and prefer the latter.
I need to replace the clutch packs. I plan on doing the job in the driveway. Watched a few YouTube videos on how to walk compress the gears and walk them out. Any hints or tips that could make the whole job easier? Not looking forward to removing both axles. Looks like suspension the linkage will be tough to work with.
Thanks in advance!