Rear end harmonic noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjeff

Reaction score
My 2918 with under 2k miles has developed a low harmonic noise from the rear end that starts with the wheels turning and stops when the wheels stop. It is not a squeak, rattle, thump, or grind. It reminds me of rubbing your finger on a glass rim but in a very low range. Anyone else with this type of issue?

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which axle ratio. 3,31 or 3.73. (Tow Package)

All the time or temperature dependent. I would focus on the rear drive unit

OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
All the time. There is not a great deal of temperature variation in Phoenix. Axle 3.31 without tow pkg.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it make the noise in reverse? Get louder the faster you drive? Does the noise change when turning?

OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
Noise forward and backward. Don't hear it at road speed but noticeable before stopping and starting to move. No change with turning. The noise does seem to change pitch with increase speed.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
My 2918 with under 2k miles has developed a low harmonic noise from the rear end that starts with the wheels turning and stops when the wheels stop. It is not a squeak, rattle, thump, or grind. It reminds me of rubbing your finger on a glass rim but in a very low range. Anyone else with this type of issue?
Anything you can see like Debris stuck in brake pads, stuck in shroud around the rotor, something cutting into rotor? Any weird looking marks around the rotor?

TxBrian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have anything in the tire .
My wife picked up a lag bolt a couple weeks ago.