Rear USB outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 99 Ford expedition and I have pulled out the stock stereo. Once I did that the rear radio controls that are in the back of the front centre console no longer work.

I pulled those out and I am going to add four USB outlets powered by the cigarette lighter that is in the side of the front centre console.

Here is the outlets that I’m going to use:

17f2a352a074a4217bfd2fe55096172a.jpgq

Here’s the back:

3db407e7446959d3985d622955b04ca0.jpg

Each set of prongs is marked with a positive or a negative.

So my question is how to wire them?

My idea is to find which one is the positive and negative wires running to the cigarette lighter and cut the negative wire and run a wire from the negative side of the cigarette lighter to the positive on the first USB outlet.

And then from the negative on the first USB outlet bridge to the positive on the second USB outlet and then from the negative on the second USB outlet connect it to the negative wire from the cigarette lighter.

Does that sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That'll work just fine, I did the exact thing you are doing.

Same area you mentioned.

IMG_20170507_192409.jpg

And my rear hatch power.

IMG_20171201_120049.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok what I proposed did not work. What I ended doing to each the ground and power wires I soldered three more wires. Two went to the USB outlets and one to the existing factory cigarette lighter. I noticed that with the truck off the USB outlet LED lights remained on. They are pretty small and likely don’t draw slot of power but should they go off when the truck is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are always on as the cigarette lighter is a constant power circuit. I have several in my truck that are always on, unless your battery is dying, or you only drive it once or twice a month, it shouldn't remotely ever be an issue.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice idea.
i'm considering one of these that I put on the big water toy. works great and has an inline flat blade fuse if [ever] overloaded or fault sensed.
you can energize or de-energize with the red switch.

juh.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze