Rear Wiper Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Berrye

Reaction score
I have a '99 Expedition EB with 5.4L and the rear wiper is not working. I cannot find a thread that addresses the symptoms I am experiencing and would appreciate help form the Forum.

The rear wiper does not operate in any position although the rear washer fluid does flow via the switch on the steering column. When the switch is in the on position, I do not feel any vibration or other indication that the wiper motor is attempting to run.

I've checked the fuses and all are good.

Any ideas?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.expeditionforum.com/thre...motor-turning-but-not-moving-wiper-arm.10536/

Check out this thread.

I've taken my motor out a couple times and cleaned it. It would work for a little bit (like until I was done putting it back together) but then stop.

I took my arm off and set the control to the INT 2 position. I could hear the motor trying to work but it wouldn't move. I lightly tapped on the motor shaft with my channel locks and it freed it up and started working. Then I sprayed some PB Blaster onto the shaft and let it work in. Then I stretched the wiper arm spring (just like 2 coils) and put it back on. Seems to work. The real test will be in a day or 2.

Al95

Reaction score
Just replace the motor. I had to do this to my dad's two expedition. It was easy to replace.

georgeshannon

Reaction score
The way I fixed mine was to remove the wiper arm and rotate it clockwise about 5 degrees and reinstall it. This results in the new docking position being about 1/2" below the dock. Lift the wiper into the dock. The wiper is now under tension. It operates when activated. The normal docking position is such that the wiper does not contact the switch elements. It needs to be rotated just a little so the switch elements make contact in the docked position.

briangelc

Reaction score
mine intermittently failed for a couple years. I think it was a faulty ground connection because removing the motor, then reinstalling it worked several time.
if finally died this spring so I replaced it. Part was available at Autozone for reasonable price.. EZ job

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems to work. The real test will be in a day or 2.

Mine is back to not working. I may try the 5* re-clocking before I replace the motor completely. My motor works, it just won't always kick it off like it should.

seawalkersee

Reaction score
Mine doesn't work in the cold. As soon as it gets warm, there are no problems. I never thought about the park contact. I may try that just for grins.

SWS

OP
OP
Berrye

Berrye

Reaction score
The way I fixed mine was to remove the wiper arm and rotate it clockwise about 5 degrees and reinstall it. This results in the new docking position being about 1/2" below the dock. Lift the wiper into the dock. The wiper is now under tension. It operates when activated. The normal docking position is such that the wiper does not contact the switch elements. It needs to be rotated just a little so the switch elements make contact in the docked position.

The 5 degree fix worked! Thanks for the tip.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think mine was related to a broken ground wire in the switch for the top glass. Basically the system thought the top glass was open and it wouldn't run the motor. Just like if you open the hatch it parks. That is something else to check for. I fixed mine when I replaced fixed the cables to open the hatch.