Remote Keyless Entry - Poor Range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, let me start by saying, I've already tested new batteries and new fobs, as well as reprogrammed the working (zero issue) fobs from all three of my other rigs to eliminate all of that as the culprit.

Range of remotes on my Expedition is just horrible. Typically, I need to be within 20 feet of it for it to activate - occasionally, I've gotten significantly farther away, but nothing ever consistent.

Meanwhile, on my Explorer, my Crown Vic, and my Super Duty, all of those can be 100-150 feet away (or, often, farther) without issue, and with significant obstacles (i.e. a house, or a bunch of other cars in a parking lot) in the way, and still work flawlessly.

I haven't started digging into manuals yet, but, does anyone know where the receiver/antenna for the remote keyless entry is located? I want to see if there's something wonky with it that I might be able to resolve.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I understand, the same era F150's used the same or a variation of this module, and its located above the parking brake. Its got the sticker on it that tells you your door code. The antenna for that module is internal and not serviceable. Again, from the F150 world I recall this module is in cahoots with PATS and whatnot, so dealer programming is required. You might want to consider just adding a whole new aftermarket keyless entry system, like Viper, which you can expand to include remote start, alarm system, etc. I've also read bluetooth adapters plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet can cause issues??

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No bluetooth adapters or anything else plugged into the cigarette lighter, other than an occasional USB charger (which does not impact performance on any of my other three rigs).

Sadly, this occurs whether or not the charger is plugged in.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are these the OEM fobs? I have a gen 1 and gen 2. I got both from original owners who were friends/family so i know the history of both. I am nuts about lost keys so I have a total of 4 keys/fobs for each, and I've noticed that the OEM fobs both have a MUCH better range than the cheapo ebay units I added.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both. No difference in performance between OE and aftermarket clones on any of the vehicles (I've swapped around a bunch). :(

The problem is very specific to the truck - at this point, I'm convinced it's the truck or the module, be it an obstruction, or just crappy antenna.

Guess I'll need to tear into the module, see if I can locate the antenna/receiver on the circuit board and enhance that.