Replace 3rd row seat belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duncan

Reaction score
I have a 2015 limited LT with the right 3rd row seat belt badly damaged. The webbing has been badly torn but the retractor is fine. Does anyone have a guide or advice how I remove the plastics panels and then remove the belt and retractor so that they can be replaced? Thanks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop off the trim piece with vinyl prybar
Unscrew the seatbelt, I think you need a torn T50 or a T55 maybe

Replace with a junkyard belt, maybe $20 if that

If the retractor on that is jammed in full retraction, pry up the white plastic side, retract some, clamp it with a clamp or hemostat to keep it from rolling back up, replace thr plastic piece and mount it in truck. Once it is in proper position the retractor should free it.

If the belt is nasty dirty or jam prone dirty, scrub it with hot water and dish soap

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Replace with a junkyard belt, maybe $20 if that

If the retractor on that is jammed in full retraction, pry up the white plastic side, retract some, clamp it with a clamp or hemostat to keep it from rolling back up, replace thr plastic piece and mount it in truck. Once it is in proper position the retractor should free it.

If the belt is nasty dirty or jam prone dirty, scrub it with hot water and dish soap

My opinion: I would NEVER buy a used seat belt assembly from the junkyard.

I suggest buying a new assembly from Ford - the belt is a critical safety device. Your vehicle is a 2015 and should have quality, replacement parts installed.

(I own a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4.)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion: I would NEVER buy a used seat belt assembly from the junkyard.

I suggest buying a new assembly from Ford - the belt is a critical safety device. Your vehicle is a 2015 and should have quality, replacement parts installed.

(I own a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4.)

A seat belt is a ridiculously simple mechanical design....it either works or it doesn't, with no real room for anything inbetween.

Check for damage once on install (highly unlikely)...then just keep it clean and it'll work.

Also, buying a new one, you'd probably get it installed "professionally", right? Trust me you do NOT wanna know what doofuses junkie excon dropouts will end up handling your "critical safety device".

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A seat belt is a ridiculously simple mechanical design....it either works or it doesn't, with no real room for anything inbetween.

Check for damage once on install (highly unlikely)...then just keep it clean and it'll work.

Also, buying a new one, you'd probably get it installed "professionally", right? Trust me you do NOT wanna know what doofuses junkie excon dropouts will end up handling your "critical safety device".

I have replaced seat belt assemblies in one of my Corvettes and my son's Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I purchased new assemblies. I did not pay to have them replaced.

The part is rather inexpensive and I would not trust a used assembly from a junk yard that my have been exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
D

Duncan

Reaction score

Thanks for the advise.
I pulled off the trim piece and can see the retractor down the hole, but I am not sure the retractor will fit through this hole and it looks almost impossible to reach the screws that hold it place. Here's a couple of photos of the trim piece off and a view down the hole showing how difficult access to the retractor is.
Before I tackle this, I just want to check that this is what you meant.
IMG_5426.JPGIMG_5427.JPG

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side panel needs to come off too

Yup, the whole thing

OP
OP
D

Duncan

Reaction score
OK. Thanks. Any advice or guides on how to remove these panels?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni