Replaced Motor, Lost Power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionEMT

Reaction score
Guys, this is my first time ever posting to a forum. Straight to the point though, my motor blew and I wound up replacing it with a used motor from a junkyard. Just a quick rundown of what information I have:

2002 Ford Expedition XLT, 4.6 engine

Here is a short list of things we have done leading up to this problem

Replacement motor came out of a 2001 Ford Crown Victoria, 4.6 engine.
Coil packs replaced
Heater core blown out with air hose
Catalytic converters replaced
New muffler added

A brief description of the problem:

When started, my vehicle does not smoke and it does not miss while in park. It does however have a small tick to it that has been identified as a lifter. When the vehicle is put into drive, it starts acting like a coil pack is bad and as my Dad described it, having a bumblebee in the muffler. He also says it acts like it has lost half of its power, but when it gets up to about 65MPH, it evens out. Guys, any help with what this could be would be greatly appreciated. I have been told that it's possible that the computer on my vehicle needs to be reprogrammed with the current motor, but that's all we know at this time.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you verify the "new" engine was any good?

Did you hear it run?
Did you do a compression test on all cylinders?
How many miles on the "new" motor?
Did you check the timing chains & guides for wear?

Are there any codes present?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome. Having some history of the donor car would be helpful. Also, prior to replacing the engine, did your Expedition have any issues? The poor performance (rough running while in gear) could be related to your tranny, especially the torque converter.

When your engine "blew", what exactly happened to it?

Just to prepare you, you shouldn't hold any expectation that a 16 year old engine from a junk yard is going to work well.

Last edited:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recall that though 4.6 engines are modular, those that came from a car are somewhat shorter than the ones they use on an Expedition hence, the feeling of being underpowered. Maybe it produces lesser torque.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
DTC/check engine? That would be the first place to start. Scan for codes. The 4.6l does not have lifters. It is over head cam, they are called cam followers and rarely fail. They fall off, possibly from some jack wagon running 20W50 or too thick oil, then over revving it.

Last edited: