Replaced shifter Tube now key will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 1999 XLT Expedition. It became impossible to shift so i looked it up and found out a common issue that the aluminum shift tube had broken.

So in order to remove the bottom plastic piece around the steering wheel I had to remove the Key Cylinder. I then removed the negative of the battery and proceeded to do the repair.

Once I was done, I put the negative back in the battery and put the Key Cylinder back in the steering column.

The issue that I am having now is that the key turns but the truck will not start. I only have one key but since I did not touch any engine parts or electrical circuits it makes me think that maybe for some reason the chip in the key will need to be re-programmed.....I am correct? do you think this is transponder key issue??

I just want to be sure because the truck is in my driveway and I dont have AAA to have the truck towed to a dealer so I will need to pay for somebody to come to my house but i dont want to call them if my issue should not be a key issue.

Thank you for your help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to be more specific. Is the starter turning the engine over? Is the theft light blinking rapidly?

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, yes- the engine sounds like its going to start but it doesnt and i just went back to try it and yes, the THEFT light blinks very fast......

thanks again

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may have disturbed the wiring to the —Passive Anti-Theft Transceiver Module when you removed reinstalled the key cylinder.

I would first try disconnecting the battery again and wait about 25 minutes and then reconnect and try starting the expy.

If that doesn't work try checking the wiring to the transceiver

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tried the battery solution and still cranking but nit starting...all the dashboards lights come on and Theft light blinks rapidly....

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rapid blinking of the theft light indicates a problem with the pats system Check the transceiver that is around the key cylinder as it may have been damaged when you removed/reinstalled the cylinder and also check the wiring to the transceiver. If everything was working prior to you making repairs then it has something to do with the repair.

Also check fuse #30 under the dash and the ground connection Drivers side behind the kick panel

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will check all that. I was very carefull at taking everything apart and did not disconnect any wiring at all. The cylinder piece comes out very easely by just pushing a pin and turning it with the key in it....I will double check everything and back track...thanks again...

Only reason i asked if the key needed to be reprogrammed is because one time the same thing happened to our other car until we realized we were using a spare key that had not been programmed...however, nothing with the ignition was done with this truck so I dont see how it would have lost the connection to the chip in the key...I would understand if the cylinder was replaced but it was just removed and put back....

Thanks for the help!!!