Replacing Entire AC System 2001 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iridius

Reaction score
2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 Liter Triton 4x4 XLT

Hello, I am looking for some insight before beginning additional repairs on my 2001 Expedition.

2 years ago
My wife was on a trip up north and they started to have something blow thru the vents in the vehicle. She was told it was likely the heater core or a heater hose, and a hose was clamped that decreased it enough to return home to Florida. She said she thought it was refrigerant, not coolant, but she admits she doesn't really remember. She said that something was coming out of the defroster still after the hose was clamped, and it was oily and she would stop every now and then to wipe it. I was on the road for work at the time, so I did not see any part of it at that time. Prior to this, the AC was working, but not great.

1 1/2 years ago
I started using the truck, the heater would blow, but it smelled sometimes burnt, sometimes sweet. But thinking I was going to replace it I didn't look into it, plus, we don't use the heater too often here in Florida.

1 year ago
One day the truck would not start. After troubleshooting, we found the AC compressor seized up, and that was causing the belt not to spin, I removed it, and put in a bypass pulley and it started right up. I have done a lot of repairs since then, but none related to the AC system. (Replaced Alternator, that's on the same belt, but that's as close as it gets)

1 month ago
I started driving the truck around the whole state, and it's like a sauna, so I need AC before the summer hits.

Today
I am trying to find out all the parts I would need to replace the entire system. I don't want to replace and refill one piece at a time and then find a leak somewhere and have to replace something and then refill again. The only caveat is the Evaporator, since it requires removing the dash (or the cutting thru the glove box technique - yikes), either of which seem to increase risk of something being damaged (a broken wire or piece of plastic seem probable)

Questions:

1. Is there a way to tell if the problem was the heater core, evaporator, blend door or a hose in the current state, no Freon in the system and bypass pulley in place. The system does blow thru the panel vents and defroster just fine, but it's environmental temp air only.

2. Can I change everything, but the Evaporator. And if I do, if the Evaporator is in fact bad, will it damage all the other new parts I've put on?

3. What parts, tools and supplies would you have on hand to complete this project? My current list includes:
- Compressor with Clutch
- Condenser
- Accumulator
- Front A/C Orifice Tube
- Rear A/C Expansion Valve
- A/C Hose Assembly -- With Rear AC

- PAG Oil
- Freon & Dispenser
- Thermometer, my normal tool set, hose removal tool, thick gloves and glasses
- Evaporator, Heater Core, Blend Door (In Case I end up having to do this in the end)

4. Is there only 1 hose assembly, when I look at the online store photos I only see one place to check pressure, maybe I can't tell from the pic, but I should have a high and low pressure valve.

Thank you in advance,
I really appreciate any insight/advice.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The job isn't as bad as you think, just a bunch of screws & bolts. There is a good video on youtube you can follow - also has good tips included.

If there is a hole in the evap it must be changed. Putting the other parts on prior isn't advised.

I'll provide more info when I get on the home computer.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Thanks. I have watched the dash removal videos and they dont look too bad, and that's what makes me nervous :)

I have a couple issues. I work outside, so if it starts raining or gettingbcrazy windy that causes me to have to stop and hope nothing gets wet. Since I depend on the truck for work. If I don't complete it within 48 hours, sat and sun, I have to rent a car, not ideal. That is why I would rather have all the parts on hand and return whatever is not needed instead of trying to get them as I go. I will have a more experienced shade tree mechanic with me, but I like to prep ahead as much as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the idea of DIY and saving money. But I'd take it to a shop with an AC machine and have them put a vacuum on the system to see if it will hold before I proceeded with any parts swapping. If it holds, pay for and get the system flushed. I'd hate to see your new components fail due to crud in the system somewhere.

When you removed the seized compressor, was there Freon in the system? Have the lines been open for a year or were they capped off?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check tooltopia.com for the ac tools - you'll need a vac pump & gauge set. If you buy the small cans of r134a you will spend close to what a 30lb tank costs at Sam's - so I buy the tank and sell what I don't need when I do ac work.

Make sure you are sitting down when you price the rear ac lines. If those aren't leaking I would leave them alone.

Very important to prime the compressor, per the instructions before installation. Don't overlook that step or you get to buy another compressor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Good point.
No the freon was empty when we took off the compressor.
The lines that were disconnected were covered with tape, which probably isnt what you mean by capping ;)

Ok, that makes sense. So if it holds vacumn then have it flushed and at that point what would need to be changed in addition to the compressor.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to mention I have gauge ans vacumn. Good tip on sams club 30 lb. Thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flex, he wants to replace the entire system. If they can knock that out over a weekend - all power to them.

What locked up on the old compressor - the clutch, the compressor or both?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
I don't really know which it was on the compressor the clutch or the compressor or both.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
So, a shop I used for some other work quoted the evaporator and heater core replacement at $699 and canndonit Monday which works out with my work schedule. That would definitely simplify my weekend.

1 I still need to determine which and how many hoses I need, because it looks like. I have seen different ones online that say they fit my vehicle, but my understamding was that I would need 2, a high and low pressure one, but I dont see them called that. I have seen

AC hose assembly / Rear AC
AC manifold hose

But I wanna make sure I get all the parts ordered.

2. Would a pressure check work while i have no compressor in? And would it tell me if the evaporator needs to be replaced?