Replacing Entire AC System 2001 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would work if they have plugs for the lines but would be a waste of time since the entire system will be checked to see if there are any leaks.

Why swap the evap and core if you don't have the other parts installed? I would do those last - once they finish you could evac and recharge same day and find problems if there are any.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Woohoo. The comoressor was all that was messed up. The heater core may be too, but this is florida may just bypass that if it is. I have to look up how to check that.

The reason I wanted to prep to do the whole thing is that I am only home for 2 days and would rather havenot all ready to change if needed, but we didn't have to, so, we changed my wife's brakes, worked on the garden and got new wipers and had a big bonfire outback woth all the extra time and now I get to make a deep fried ham, deep fried peanut butter stuffed meatballs and deep fried pickles for my family tomorrow instead of taking off my dashboard :)

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate the help and insight.

$179 for compressor
$129 for evac and charge
Cold air in my truck in Florida for the summer...... priceless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Yeah. I talked about that with a friend. Will that likely be just changing the accumulator or will it often damage the other parts too?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and have a shop test the pressure and with dye. Why replace the "entire system", when it maybe only needs a couple of parts. I had a bad compressor. The shop also put a new line, evaporator and condenser for $900. The system takes almost 4 pounds of Freon. They were able to recycle, the remaining 2 1/2 pounds, with a special machine, I doubt you own.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and have a shop test the pressure and with dye. Why replace the "entire system", when it maybe only needs a couple of parts. I had a bad compressor. The shop also put a new line, evaporator and condenser for $900. The system takes almost 4 pounds of Freon. They were able to recycle, the remaining 2 1/2 pounds, with a special machine, I doubt you own.
Definitely. I changed the compressor and for the first time in years I didn't sweat while driving across Florida. Wish I had changed the accumulator too, but I spent $130 for an evac and recharge, so, I dont want to respend that just to change the accumulator. Is that a dumb move?

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
you need to replace the accumulator. you are on borrowed time if you don't.
What other parts will it likely damage? Because if it's less than $130 for an evac and refill then it makes more sense to wait. Even the compressor was about that much. I do havebto do a full evac and recharge if I want to change the accumulator?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the accumulator acts like a filter and if the compressor came apart inside and sent metal fragments into the system they would end up in the accumulator, which also traps moisture.

I suppose at this point you may as well roll the dice and hope it holds up, the system should have been flushed too if the compressor was shot.

Anytime the system is opened to the atmosphere the accumulator should be changed

that's just normal servicing procedure.

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
Duly noted. But it sounds like the main concern would be it damaging the compressor, but a new compressor would cost almost the same as the recharge. I'm slowly learning. Just haply it wasn't a bad evacuator. That's an extensive and expensive job. Maybe I'll see if theres a cheaper evac and recharge place around. What's the normal rate for that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360